Testing water for first time.

As of now my tank has been up and running for about two weeks with live sand. Going tomorrow evening to pick up 50 lbs Figi Tukani. What should my water be like with just two weeks of live sand. My Ph is around 8-8.2, and ammonia is .25, I will be testing the nitrates and nitrites in just a few minutes. And I've been running led lights 6-7 hours a night if that makes any difference. Thanks

Update. Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 0 ppm
Ammonia .25-.50

I'm guessing the live sand isn't much for cycling a tank, so hopefully when I get my live rock tomorrow the cycle will get started.

No have not been ghost feeding or adding any shrimp.

Last edited:

jay0705

Once you add the rock. Wait a few days and test again. There should be a change. Basically you need to go slowly to start. Ease into stocking. You have ammonia wich means your cycle has started

lmforbis

You need to add some sort of ammonia source to feed the bacteria while they populate your tank. I prefer ghost feeding.

one-fish

When you add your LR would expect to see a rise in Amm. depending on your LR die off. You should be fine..watch your water params. Test frequently and be patient nature will run it's course

Shilpan

Now just wait until it all finishes cycling. If the ammonia hits 0, and you are still waiting days or weeks for the nitrites to hit 0 you should consider ghost feeding. I found when I cycled my first tank last year, I had ammonia for 3 weeks, and then it was only in my fourth and fifth weeks which I had to ghost feed a tiny tiny bit of food every other day

one-fish

A+ Same here... Amm. levels high for over a month N02 was off scale for a month but I used a different method to 1st cycle my tank If had to do again would have used LR at the beginning not during the middle of it's cycle. Live and Learn....You should be fine watch your water chemistry