That cloudy water question again

Weatherboy

All seems well. All test well. Tiny bit of amonia and nitrates.

Cleaned filters, cleaned glass. Still a tad cloudy, and looks like maybe some sand floating around.

Not a huge deal, but not crystal clear like I'd love.
I've got a 50!gal HOB filter and canister Filter. Both cleaned.

75gal.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Some details....was all well prior to cleaning? If you've just done all this cleaning, then your system may need a few days to settle in. If it doesn't clear, you can try using a water clarifier. Sometimes particles will remain suspended in the water and a water clarifier will clean that up.

It's a good idea not to clean so much that your tank starts producing ammonia.

Weatherboy

Been up for 2 mos. haven't really cleaned anything. It's been clearer but for the last couple weeks it's just bugged me that it's not clear like the store or my FW was. So 2 days ago I cleaned the filters. And a 10% water change.

Didn't help. Also, I've put clarifier in a couple times over the last few weeks. Nada.

I've got two powerheads, but they are not on the sand.
Got a decent CUC with numerous snails and such, along with peperment and 2 urchins.

Only 6 smaller fish.

Tested water and nothing major. Not completely 0 on all but .10 amonia, 0 nitrites 10ish nitrates.

2quills

If you're detecting ammonia then I suspect what you're experiencing is a bacteria bloom.

Are u using a canister filter? If so then a aggressive cleaning may have wiped out some of your beneficial bacteria and now the tank is re balancing itself again.

Weatherboy

Well here is another question.
I just cleaned the canister filter. It leaked all night, and then I refilled, made sure it sealed tight and leaked again. Not sure what the deal is....so I went to move it and it leaked everywhere. Crap.

So, I took it out. It was kinda of ugly. I admit it was a pain to get out of Cabinant when full.

I already had a marineland 350 going.

Can I get away with ONLY the 350? FOWLR.

I may add a yellow tank, small angel and a Benny later. That's really it.

Side note. I've lost a hermit and a couple snail things. Are they running out of food?
I have 3 hermits, a 20gal CUC, 2 peppermints, one urchin and one fist size urchin.

Or does occasional die offs happen?

lmforbis

At least for the time being the HOB should suffice. You may want to get another one to add to it or a bigger one to replace it with.

2quills

Anything above 0 for ammonia is deadly. I'd refrain from adding any more livestock until that gets under control personally.

Weatherboy

The canister broke and leaked very quickly. Plus already had drained a good gallon or so while I was at work. Can't figure out why. Had been fine till I cleaned again. Wouldn't seal right.

So I took it out. And ironically, my tank is clearer.

2quills

I had one do that to me once and then I realized one of the O-ring seals wasn't seated properly.

After that I decided to place the canister inside of a plastic tote incase it ever happened again. Fortunately I knew what to watch out for after that so I never had the issue again.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Better to set up a system that relies less on man-made filters, and more on simulating what is the ocean...that will result in the best water quality. Perhaps you want to start up a refugium. Far superior than what a canister can do and a lot less hassle.

beaslbob

Better to set up a system that relies less on man-made filters, and more on simulating what is the ocean...that will result in the best water quality. Perhaps you want to start up a refugium. Far superior than what a canister can do and a lot less hassle.
+1

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Waste of money for that. Can you post a picture? Did the system stabilize after the clean up? What are your water readings?

Weatherboy

Not horrid, not crystal clear.
All numbers are basically 0.
All aquatic life has been fine for a month.
Coralline growing well.
I keep glass mostly clean, back wall I leave.

Attachments