the beaslbob trap(s)

beaslbob

On an now defunct board a poster was attempting to setup a pvc overflow and was wondering why it didn't work. What he was attempting to duplicate was a pvc that went through the tank wall at the overflow height. But what he implemented was over the top instead of drilling the tank wall. so naturally it didnt work.
But it did get me think about water traps so I came up with this design which is actually pumping water with a mag 5 pump against an head of 3-4feet. Power out and power tests were successful and it ran very quiet.

Not clear with the picture in the in tank pipe which is hidden but it just goes into the tank about half to 3/4s the way down.
While you are contemplating if that works (or saying so what big deal) I'll post a couple of revisions which make mounting on the tank easier.
my .02

beaslbob

And revision c:

this design would allow more hob siphons all going the bottom of the water trap.
But it does take up more space behind the tank.
So I do have a revision d not uploaded to the internet which uses sanitary "tees" for a more rounded overflow for quieter opereation. Plus I turned the over flow section so I just cleared the water trap as opposed to being straight back. that saved space behind the tank.
Before anyone posts I have see the design here:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/297623/pics-diy-pvc-overflow
I demonstrated this as a how to setup a samp of our local club meeting. One member stated it looked like a "half drunk engineer" designed it. I said he was wrong.
I was all the way drunk.

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/370270/the-beaslbob-trap-s#post_3362023
Looks pretty nice beaslbob. So it functions pretty well for you I take it?
Actually yes.
FWIW with these designs the overflow occurs in the horizontal part outside the tank. You could also add a skimmer box of even pvc inside the tank back up to the surface, for surface skimming.
The nipples and clear tubes are for the initial priming of the "trap".
there are air holes above each of the drains.
I used the return pump or the power heads with air tubes for form the functions of an aqua lifter and suck out air bubles in the hob part.
I also found there is some muted water rushing noise when larger diameter pipes area used.
but overall for $20 of pvc you can have a system that is equall to and hopefully greater then the overflow boxes.
and for larger system this would seem to be about the only HOB method.
my .02

pstanley

Ahhhh, ok. That makes sense. If I had to match overflow GPH for return pump GPH (taking into account the length of pipe, pump height, etc.) than that would leave little room for error. I just need to make sure the pump is rated less than the overflow....that takes all of the pressure off my decision making :)

I read through your "build your own overflow" thread...very interesting. Adds more possibilities.