The Best Heater for 29 Gallon Biocube

taureantank

Hey All
Does anyone on the board here know of a good thermometer / heater that regulates the temperature of your tank?
I live in CA (Palm Springs ) so we have extreme heats , the winters can get cold but its not extreme on the cold side usually.
I am trying to keep my tank at a consistant 78-80 degrees figuring that is the happy middle.
My Corals at these temps are doing OUTSTANDING!
Thanks for your imput and suggestions!
Marko

taureantank

OOPS i forgot to mention, I am going to be installing a Protein Skimmer and powerhead today once it arrives which I know is going to change the temps.

S

smallreef

I think your better bet is installing fans...it is always good to have a heater incase of those cold nights ..
what has your temp been holding at w/o a heater? and im assuming you have a good digital thermometer in the tank???
and yes the skimmer and powerhead will add a bit of heat in there... but not anything extreme....

S

saxman

Most of the "plug-n-play" setups already run at around 80*F out of the box...in fact, we generally chill our PnP's that we use for QT/growout tanks. I run heaters in these, but I always use the temp controller on the chiller or an external TC like a Ranco when I run a heater...I've never trusted heaters, as they generally fail in the "stuck on" position.
We use Eheim-Jager heaters, FWIW.