The Seattle Aquarium

keri

So Drew and I have some time off together, don't *really* wanna leave the pets for too too long with a house sitter but I figured we could take a couple days, take a train up to Seattle, check out the aquarium....? Has anyone been to it? Is it much good? I only really have the Vancouver Aquarium to compare it to.

scotts

We took our vacation this year in Seattle. Had a great time and did the sites, (or would that be sights?
) including the aquarium. It was good but it will take you one hour, two tops. So if you enjoy the journey to see it and maybe some other stuff along the way, sure it is worth it. If you are traveling JUST to see the aquarium, well I would not want you to be disappointed.
Of course I had the family in tow so it is not like I could sit there and stare at the tanks for a ton of time. However I would recommend the "City Pass." It gets you into the major exibits, including the aquarium for about $54.

keri

Well, the final verdict is in: We went.
The displays were very clean and nice but it was quite small, I feel $16 per person was a little too much for the small amount of time we actually spent in there, it's much smaller than the vancouver aquarium. They do feature mostly coldwater native species which is neat but I would have liked to see more tropical stuff too and the seal tank was so very tiny! The tide/touch pools were very nice to look at and while I'm not such a big fan of anemones being fingered all day the kids there looked like they were having a great time!
The Woodland Park Zoo
on the other hand was great! We spent about 3 and a half hours there and still didn't see all the exhibits (it was a long day, my feet gave out on me!) and we had a lot of fun. The enclosures for the most part weren;t too small, had lots of "natural" foliage, caves, hiding spots and enrichment and most of the animals looked very well kept and not stressed (with a few exceptions)
All in all I didn't "love" Seattle, the city has a very claustrophobic feeling, the streets are narrow and the buildings loom but I loved driving thru the hills in washington, very pretty countryside, and we still had fun in Seattle. Pike place market was really cool with the fish vendors yelling and throwing fish and we rode the monorail lol.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Keri
http:///forum/post/3139871
Well, the final verdict is in: We went.
The displays were very clean and nice but it was quite small, I feel $16 per person was a little too much for the small amount of time we actually spent in there, it's much smaller than the vancouver aquarium. They do feature mostly coldwater native species which is neat but I would have liked to see more tropical stuff too and the seal tank was so very tiny! The tide/touch pools were very nice to look at and while I'm not such a big fan of anemones being fingered all day the kids there looked like they were having a great time!
The Woodland Park Zoo
on the other hand was great! We spent about 3 and a half hours there and still didn't see all the exhibits (it was a long day, my feet gave out on me!) and we had a lot of fun. The enclosures for the most part weren;t too small, had lots of "natural" foliage, caves, hiding spots and enrichment and most of the animals looked very well kept and not stressed (with a few exceptions)
All in all I didn't "love" Seattle, the city has a very claustrophobic feeling, the streets are narrow and the buildings loom but I loved driving thru the hills in washington, very pretty countryside, and we still had fun in Seattle. Pike place market was really cool with the fish vendors yelling and throwing fish and we rode the monorail lol.
Sounds fun, I'm sorry the aquarium wasn't that great. Did you get any pictures?

keri

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3139896
Sounds fun, I'm sorry the aquarium wasn't that great. Did you get any pictures?

You know, it's ok, I'm still glad I went, it's just not very big. :) I do have pictures, about 300 of them, I have to get them all uploaded and resized but I will post some! :) (Don't worry - I won't post them all!)