They're actually painting fish.....

speg

I used to hear that some of the freshwater species of fish were painted to make them more appealing towards buyers.. but I figured it was a lie..
Last Sunday, I visited my local fish store and my niece told me to look at the heart on this fish.. I looked and saw a heart painted into the fishes body.. then another fish had rainbow colored dots all over it.. another had a smiley face.
It seems a little insane to me.. painting a hermit crabs shell to go with your favorite Nascar driver is one thing.. but to actually inject ink into the body of an animal?

flower

On this very site they have a toadstool coral that has been dyed bright yellow. If there is a buyer, they will find a way to sell it. The only way to stop it is to not purchase such a critter.

speg

It's really been dyed? I seen the one you're talking about.. only glanced.. figured it was a fiji or something.
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3250259

On this very site they have a toadstool coral that has been dyed bright yellow. If there is a buyer, they will find a way to sell it. The only way to stop it is to not purchase such a critter.

flower

Go to the coral and on the description where it says more info in blue...the first sentence is "not it's true color". Someone else on the site has one and it seems healthy enough, and after a year has not faded.

nanomantis

In regards to the op, this is a fairly common practice. They have been injecting dye and other chemicals into fish for years and years now. You've seen painted glass tetras; the ones with blue/pink/purple/green/yellow/orange streaks across the dorsal ridge of an otherwise boring species? I would imagine they are one of pet-smart's biggest sellers. You've heard of glo-lite danios? You know the orange/pink/green ones? Well, they arn't natural either. They are actually tampered albino danios and tend to lose their color after an extended period of time without color enhancing foods.
But the fish you are referring to, is the blood parrot. Which is not a natural fish in and of itself; a man made hybrid. They actually take stamps to these fish. I've seen them with hearts, faces, names, words, and even flags printed on their sides. The only reason they do these things, is because there is a market for them. Some people enjoy such novelties, and will pay for them (flag print can sell for somewhere around $50).

aquaknight

They're not painting or tattooed, but a laser is used to burn the image into the fish.
Company offers custom fish tattoos with laser
A tropical fish supplier in Hong Kong is offering a unique new service in which it will tattoo fish with the words, patterns or logos of your choice using a laser.
HK Aquaria Mall sells a range of parrot cichlids that are dye tattooed with Chinese New Year wishes or sayings such as "I love you", and now offers the opportunity to have fish custom tattooed with the words of your choice.
According to translations kindly provided to Practical Fishkeeping by Alan Goh, Chairman of the HK Aquaria Mall, Alen Lee, told the Chinese newspaper Mingpao that unlike some other forms of dyed fish, his are tattooed with dye using a special "low intensity laser" which he claims leaves a permanent mark and does not cause the fish any pain."We need to select the appropriate fish and use only low intensity laser beams...""Firstly, we need to select the appropriate fish and use only low intensity laser beams. We only engrave on the fishes' scales, not through them. We also had concerns over the possibility of animal abuse, but to date the mortality rate has been zero. The fishes don't even bleed", he told Mingpao.
Lee told the paper that the fish, which cost around 100 HKD (7.40) are selling well: "For the Lunar New Year I've arranged for popular New Year greetings to be engraved on them. If a customer wishes to personalise their fishes, they'll need to order two weeks in advance. Many people bought them as gifts for friends and relatives. I sold about 20 of them in just a week."
Production methodsDyed fish have been on sale in the aquarium hobby since the 1980s, and were previously produced by injecting acrylic paints or dyes into the body cavities of fish using hypodermic needles. New forms of dyed fish have entered the UK aquarium hobby in recent years bearing much more intricate patterns of dye, but suppliers in the Far East have remained tight-lipped about the techniques used to produce the fish.
Dr Alex Ploeg, Secretary General of Ornamental Fish International, told Practical Fishkeeping: "The topic of dyed fish is one that is being discussed within OFI on an ongoing basis. However, it is proving exceptionally difficult to obtain direct information on the techniques used.
"Being ever-conscious that we cannot enforce any worldwide restrictions on the industry - we actively take steps to emphasise to our members that OFI is against any practices that are unethical or embody negative welfare aspects".
Although tattooing has previously been suggested as a possible method of applying intricate patterns of dye to fish, this is the first official confirmation from within the aquarium industry of the techniques being used to mark these particular fishes.
It is not yet known whether some recently imported dyed fishes bearing similarly complex patterns of coloured spots, coloured stripes and even "lipstick" were produced using this technique, but most aquarium industry experts believe that all forms of dyeing are both unethical and unnecessary.
Welfare issuesDr Peter Burgess, a fish health consultant whose work on dyed glassfish was published in Practical Fishkeeping in the 1990s, told us:
"The skin of a fish is living tissue throughout. Any colouring method that damages the skin's protective surface will render fish prone to potentially life-threatening infections.
The artificial colouring by laser presumably involves restraining the fish out of water for some time and this is likely to cause further unnecessary stress. And how do we know it isn't painful?"This practice should be condemned as being cruel and totally unnecessary..."
"This practice should be condemned as being cruel and totally unnecessary. It devalues living creatures and treats them as if they were some inanimate object that can be decorated purely for whim or commercial gain. For too long, fish have been widely perceived as cold, unfeeling creatures that do not perceive pain, but we know this is far from true. This despicable practice only serves to perpetuate the myth."
Dye lasersThe techniques being used to tattoo the fish in Hong Kong could be similar to those already in use by fisheries scientists to monitor the movements of wild fish.
The technology dates back to 1975, when it was first used on catfishes. Later work by Lee Blankenship and Dan Thompson of Washington Department of Fisheries in 1993 investigated the use of Coumarin Dye (CD) lasers for tagging wild salmonids.

aquaknight

Blankenship and Thompson found that the initial blasts from CD lasers tore away scales and the epidermis down to the surface of a layer of tissue called the stratum compactum.
Their research suggests that acoustic damage tears away tissues from the margins of the hole, rather than burning the area as some other lasers do.
The end result is that pigment cells above the stratum compactum are removed, effectively bleaching the area, and allowing it to be dyed using the pigment in the lasing medium.
When used on salmon, the damage from a CD laser can last up to five weeks. Blankenship and Thompson said:
"The epidermis recovers from the laser blast quickly. It closed within a week over all but the very largest injuries, which are completely re-epithelialised a few days later. The upper layers of the epidermis remain open textured for some time as a function of the underlying connective tissue injury, but return to normal morphology after about five weeks."
Fish with darker colouration need 4-5 blasts from the laser to bleach their melanophore pigment cells, which causes massive blistering beneath the stratum compactum.
Animal Welfare BillMany industry experts had believed that the proposed Animal Welfare Bill would make it possible to prosecute those UK stores who imported and sold fish that had been dyed. However, Practical Fishkeeping has recently received confirmation from Defra and the RSPCA that a ban is not forthcoming.
Alexandra Davies of Defra said: "There are no plans at present to introduce a ban on the sale of dyed fish in this country under the Animal Welfare Bill. "There are no plans at present to introduce a ban on the sale of dyed fish in this country under the Animal Welfare Bill...""The Bill allows the government, however, to introduce new regulations to cover animal related activities and the government proposes to introduce new regulations that cover pet vending. This would be the appropriate place to consider whether any restrictions are necessary to cover the sale of dyed fish."
Legal loopholeDefra confirmed that the act of injecting or tattooing a fish with dye would constitute mutilation and would be illegal were it done inside the UK under the existing Protection of Animals Act 1911.
However, a loophole in the proposed Bill means that the sale of dyed fish can continue in the UK as the fish are not mutilated in this country.
Practical Fishkeeping has been running a successful campaign for the past 10 years that asks retailers to sign a pledge saying that they will not stock fish that have been dyed.
Around 75% of the UK's aquatic retailers have signed up to the campaign, but the sale of dyed fish in the UK is currently at the highest level we have seen since the campaign was initially launched, though the varieties of dyed fish currently available are produced using different techniques. Despite this, dyed fish are not widely sold and responsible members of the aquarium oppose the practice.
More details on the Practical Fishkeeping Dyed Fish Campaign, and a full list of stores who have signed up, can be found here on the Practical Fishkeeping magazine website

aquaman

they have been injecting dye into fish since the 80's. I used to wook at a LFS in Clarks Summit, PA (Fresh water only) and we sold them all the time. I was/am against it as the fish die sooner, it is not good for them

louti

Originally Posted by NanoMantis
http:///forum/post/3250402
In regards to the op, this is a fairly common practice. They have been injecting dye and other chemicals into fish for years and years now. You've seen painted glass tetras; the ones with blue/pink/purple/green/yellow/orange streaks across the dorsal ridge of an otherwise boring species? I would imagine they are one of pet-smart's biggest sellers. You've heard of glo-lite danios? You know the orange/pink/green ones? Well, they arn't natural either. They are actually tampered albino danios and tend to lose their color after an extended period of time without color enhancing foods.
But the fish you are referring to, is the blood parrot. Which is not a natural fish in and of itself; a man made hybrid. They actually take stamps to these fish. I've seen them with hearts, faces, names, words, and even flags printed on their sides. The only reason they do these things, is because there is a market for them. Some people enjoy such novelties, and will pay for them (flag print can sell for somewhere around $50).
Actually, the glo danios are genetically altered to have the bright colors and it does not fade. They actually insert DNA somehow.

rlablan

I was at a mall like 3 or 4 months ago and there was one of those Kiosks in the middle and they were selling those painted hermit shells and all. and at the end of the kiosk was a sign that said "buy 1 hermit, get a tattooed fish free"
There was a dude standing there, no kidding, grabbing goldfish and writing on them with a permanent marker. It was just a fat end sharpie. It was horrible!!!

It was terrible too because there were a buncha kids who were watching and I am sure that they now think that is okay.

aquapod 24

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3258784
I was at a mall like 3 or 4 months ago and there was one of those Kiosks in the middle and they were selling those painted hermit shells and all. and at the end of the kiosk was a sign that said "buy 1 hermit, get a tattooed fish free"
There was a dude standing there, no kidding, grabbing goldfish and writing on them with a permanent marker. It was just a fat end sharpie. It was horrible!!!

It was terrible too because there were a buncha kids who were watching and I am sure that they now think that is okay.
I wonder if the fish got high off the sharpie.

fishtaco

Poor parrot fish never catch a break. Since we are on the subject, has anyone else seen the neon colored cory cats?
Fishtaco