Too much in too small

socalnano24

Has anyone else noticed a strange trend resulting from the over abundance of small fragged corals; in which alot of the nano tanks are just full of plugs and square wedges w/ tiny pieces of coral?
Sure you want to have alot in a small tank, but it gets to a point where its just a chaotic layout of geometric shapes haphazardly strewn around the tank..... on top of the live rock.
Isn't there supposed to be a hint of art involved in our tanks creations, you try and hide the man made factor and have your tank resemble a piece of reef. Maybe even try to coordinate your corals and colors in a pleasing way that may resemble a true reef or biotope?
Just my two cents

aquaknight

I see where you're going with this, and I fully agree. My thing is the sandbed. I just don't find 27 types of acans and and 76 types of zoas, none more then 3 heads each, strewn across the bottom of the tank, really that attractive. I fully get if someone is into frags/raise corals, but I think it's the mix of trying for a more true reef, then just frags everywhere, that causes me to make the squishy "jeez" face....

spanko

Agree here, I am normally of the opinion that if you can't place it in the rock work if it belongs there it looks ugly in the sand. I think maybe people don't have the funds to start a frag tank, or the desire to, and use the display instead.

ibanez

Isn't it also about what you personally enjoy looking at too? If you want to go natural then maybe you should only pick corals found in one specific area instead of mixing and matching based on what you like, and also fish. Everyone has different tastes. I personally am not a big fan of frag plugs either, I usually try and attach my frags to the rock work once I know where I want them.

kylev

I dont like frag plugs at all, but I am a fond believer of to each his own and spend your money and arrange your tank the way that pleases you the most

socalnano24

Yeah, obviously if its what the aquarist is going for thats cool. Spanko brought up a good point that some may be using the,m as a DT and frag tank.

handbanana

A frag tank is a place to grow coral fragments to a larger size for removal form those ceramic plug things right? This is an area I havent even lept into yet so I thought Id ask. I dont like when I see all those white wafer things scattered around a tank either.

nanomantis

Its because a lot of these little 'designer frags' have become somewhat of a status symbol. Those who get caught up in the trend want to collect them all and make their collection the focus of the tank.
Don't worry, in a few years everyone will look back and joke about it - just like how 7 or so years ago rhinopius were the 'hot item'.