Too Much Sump Flow?

JH919

Hello people,
I'm looking to decrease the flow going through my sump. I have a 75 gallon tank, CPR internal overflow going into a 1" bulkhead with a ball valve (opened 100%) plumbed in. I also have a Ecotech M1 DC return pump. How do I slow down the flow rate? Do I just simply partially close the ball valve and slow down the return pump? This maybe a dumb question. Let's discuss...

lmforbis

I have a gate valve between the pump and the tank. I adjust flow with that.

Don't do anything to reduce the flow from the tank to the sump. Reducing the flow from the sump to the tank will automatically reduce flow to the sump. Your water level in the sump will likely rise when you reduce flow.

JH919

I have a gate valve between the pump and the tank. I adjust flow with that.

Don't do anything to reduce the flow from the tank to the sump. Reducing the flow from the sump to the tank will automatically reduce flow to the sump. Your water level in the sump will likely rise when you reduce flow.
Yeah, do I live with the sump return chamber water level being way to high? If I do that the protein skimmer compartment with be too high as well. What about reducing the overall system (DT & sump) water level? Just thinking out loud.