Triggers are mean and ate my invertebrates, now what??

marie1101

I did alot of research and the picassio trigger I bought successfully ate 3 turbo snails, and 4 orchins. Even my puffer did not mess with them. Now I am left with what do I get for cleaner fish. I have read on this forum snails and hermit crabs. I went last night and got about 10 snails and 10 hermits. None of the snails are alive and I have yet to see any of the hermit crabs. I called the LFS and they suggested some more tangs. I have a yellow mimic tang but he is not cleaning as effectively as I like. I bought the book flower recommended last year, but loaned it to a friend who has moved and of course did not return my book. Before I go investing in a more fish, only to die, please give me your suggestions.

jay0705

triggers are cool fish,but snails and crabs are rt in there wheel house as food.what is it your looking to control? alage? deterius? this may seem odd but do you have bristle worms? there excellent scavengers. they hide mostly during the day. a trigger may still eat them but it wouldnt b an easy meal,like snails.

S

saxman

My picasso LOVED BWs...and Jay is absolutely right. Non-planktonic-feeding triggers will eat most CUC critters...they're simply being triggers.

jay0705

I had a huma trigger. Never bothered much. But I couldn't keep alot of the fish I have now w it. Fire,clowns,gramma, ECT. If it's alage control your looking for get a good scruber for the tank glass. Limit your lighting.