Types of lighting and uses

pyro383

Just thought that the experienced members can chirp in here about proper lighting. I have read many articles on this and know that not only I am confused. My purchase included the standard hood that included the strip light (all glass aquariums, ie. aga). Now that I have live rock and sand do I need to change out the bulb, fixture, hood etc. 50/50 bulb, pc's, 15000k. Maybe a list stating
strip fish only
power compact fish, inverts
50/50 bulb fish, plants
so on and so forth

nacl-h2o

What you need depends on what your plans are for your tank. What do plan on keeping in there. The more info you give us, the more we can help. If a FOWLR is all your going to have, 50/50 NO bulbs are enough. If you want more, we have to know what your thinking of keeping to advise you.

pyro383

my setup will be mostly fo, lr, ls and some inverts (snails, hermits, shrimp, sf) if any type of coral that could be added that is easy to care for and not requiring equiptment changes. I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the light had to be different for lr, but lfs said not "really needed". As I stated I have just the standard flourescent light. FOr the fish, I am going docile/community.

nacl-h2o

LR will be OK with just 50/50 NO. But if you want to incorage quick or larg amounts of coraline or macro algae you may want to use PC or VHO, but there not neccesary to keep it alive or to have some growth on good LR.

manu

just get the power compacts there the best, well for FOWLR they are ne way they are like $120 for the 48" fixture and the bulbs, well they are where i work