Undergravel Filter?

j. hoss

Does anyone out there use a undergravel filter? A book I read recommends one with a reverse flow powerhead. Thanks for your help!

mr . salty

Under gravel filters(UGF)are not very popular in saltwater anymore.Mainly for two reasons,#1-They usually end up trapping excess food and fish waste.This causes excess nitrate readings in the tank.Even with reverse flow,they are more trouble than they are worth..#2-they require using crushed coral(CC) for substrate.CC is also known to contribute to high nitrates.A deepsand bed is preffered these days...

papafish

I agree, OK for FW, My 02 don't waist your $$$$
there, Put $$$$ Into a Q tank you will pat yourself on back later. ;)

joses13

Some stores I have visited lately don't carry undergravel filters anymore. Its not really something that is needed.

B

booboo

i can understand how CC differs from Sand , but how does a Deep Sand Bed differ from one that is only 1 inch deep. what purpose does the extra 3 inches do?

pancho

well i have one ugf in one tank but will be removing it soon. i also use cc in my tanks but not a deep bed of it though. so i would ditch the ugf like stated before not worth the trouble

My DSB and my LR are my filter. Why would you want a UGF to remove later? I started with a hang on because I felt I needed mechanical filtration....but you don't. I also have a sump, a refugium and a protien skimmer. Thinking about getting rid of the skimmer also.