Unicorn Tang? Ever Heard of?

merredeth

Has anyone ever heard of a Unicorn Tang? The great auction website had one and I never heard of it. Has anyone ever had one or do they have one?
Thanks a lot,
Denise M.

dogstar

I think most all the species in the genus Naso are generally considered to be unicornfish. They have a pretruding bump/horn on there head and duel cadual spines. There is one with the species name " unicornis " but the species " brevirotris " has one of the longest horns. They all grow pretty big ( 18 to 26 inches ) and require large tanks.

merredeth

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I think most all the species in the genus Naso are generally considered to be unicornfish. They have a pretruding bump/horn on there head and duel cadual spines. There is one with the species name " unicornis " but the species " brevirotris " has one of the longest horns. They all grow pretty big ( 18 to 26 inches ) and require large tanks.
I never heard the Nasos called Unicorn Tangs. Hmmm... you learn something new every day or in my case.... multiple times a day.

Thanks a lot!
Denise M.
Back to my

dogstar

Oh, I know. Common names and sp. latin names and some just misidenify names all together so sometimes you just dont know what someones talking about. The commonly know Naso is the Naso lituratus, Commonly called Naso tsng or Orangespine but if you go to Fishbase and type Naso in Genus you get 32 different tangs. If you type Unicorn in common names you get more than that.
Hard to tell from the small pic you posted but I think thats the Naso brevirostris, common name Spotted Unicornfish.

T

tizzo

good call Dog!
Unicorn Tang AKA spotted unicornfish AKA Naso brevirostris
Max length=23.6 inches
Range= Indo-Pacific
Minimum Aquarium size 180 gallon
Should I keep going, or does that already disqualify you??

merredeth

Originally Posted by Tizzo
good call Dog!
Should I keep going, or does that already disqualify you??
Are you asking me or Dog about being disqualified?
Nope - it doesn't disqualify me.
Denise M.

merredeth

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Oh, I know. Common names and sp. latin names and some just misidenify names all together so sometimes you just dont know what someones talking about. The commonly know Naso is the Naso lituratus, Commonly called Naso tsng or Orangespine but if you go to Fishbase and type Naso in Genus you get 32 different tangs. If you type Unicorn in common names you get more than that.
Hard to tell from the small pic you posted but I think thats the Naso brevirostris, common name Spotted Unicornfish.
I've always said, it is no wonder people complain the English language is the hardest language to learn. We take from every other language and adapt to our own needs. We take from latin, greek, hebrew...etc.
Anyway on another thread someone posted a pic of another tang from the great auction site and I wanted to see what the final price was for this tang that looked literally like someone took a marker to a picture of a tang to it. So, in looking it up I found the Unicorn and never heard of it.
I wanted to see if anyone knew anything about it. The pics on the great auction website weren't all that good.
Like I said earlier, I learn something new every day or in most cases - multiple things a day. I'll never claim to know it all. When I think I do - I'll give this hobby up because it won't be any fun for me.
Denise M.

key00west

A unicorn Tang for the most part looks just like a Naso (Lipstick) Tang but lacks the color, its mostly light gray, almost white in color and the spikes on its tail are a very light blue color, i have had at least 5 of them in my store in the past.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by Merredeth
Are you asking me or Dog about being disqualified?
Nope - it doesn't disqualify me.
Denise M.

Well, if the tank size doesn't disqualify you then...

Wish I could say the same...
Foods-feeding=Varied diet, mostly veggie matter, including blue-g=reen alga Spirulina, or frozen herbivore rations. Juvies and small adults spend their days grazing and require portions of veggie matter daily in an aquarium without microalgae. Adults feed on zooplankton and should be fed mysis shrimp, vitaman enriched brine shrimp and other meaty marine foods.
Reef safe
Captive care=This unusual "horned" species attains an appreciable size and is also quite attractive, making it an interestin choice for a large tank with plenty of unobstructed swimming space. It is rarely aggressive toward tankmates, although it may squabble with members of it's own kind. The horn, or forehead spike, elongates with maturity. This species may jump out of an open aquarium
Whew...
Ref. p385 Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael.

merredeth

Well, if the tank size doesn't disqualify you then...

...It is rarely aggressive toward tankmates, although it may squabble with members of it's own kind. The horn, or forehead spike, elongates with maturity. This species may jump out of an open aquarium
Whew...
Ref. p385 Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael.
I'm wondering if this site gets them or if my LFS can get them. Buying fish from the great auction site scares me. I'll buy other stuff non-aquarium related on the great auction site, but I feel obligated to to buy from here or from my LFS. This site sponsors this forum and my LFS has gone above and beyond the call of duty when I had to work late and needed salt or wanted something hard to find.
Like I said in my previous post, I was checking into the 'marked' tang and found this and wanted to ask about it. In the end I learned a heck of a lot and may end up getting it from here if they carry it.
Thanks for all your help!

Denise M.

merredeth

Juvi and adult.
Thanks a lot for the pics. That gives me a better idea of what they look like as they grow. Are they photos of yours or ones you found?
Denise M.

T

tizzo

I found those photos using google.
Yeah, I support your decision to check with your LFS first. If they have been helpful, by all means use them!! If they cannot get it for you then try this sight. It has a guarantee. I have ordered from this sight as well as many others with success stories.
Either way, good luck and post pics!! That's one fish we don't get to see every day!!

sluggo

Originally Posted by Merredeth
Has anyone ever heard of a Unicorn Tang? The great auction website had one and I never heard of it. Has anyone ever had one or do they have one?
Thanks a lot,
Denise M.
Merredeth, lastweekend my wife and I made a trip to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee and to Gatlinburg. This was our second trip and one of our favorite places is Ripleys Aquarium of the Smokies. One of the exhibits is a huge, probably several thousand gallon Reef tank. They had several of these Unicorn Tangs in the tank. While they are very interesting in shape they are very lacking in color. They are a very light machine gray with very little to no accent colors. I am going to try post a pic with one of these Tangs circled. They were about 12 to 16 inches long. The picture, if it posts is very poor as my camera is on the blink and the flash decided not to work.
Don

ssweet1

Yeah I agree they are not very pretty and get HUGE I saw really huge ones at Scripps in San Diego. Get a Chevron Tang or an Achilles if you have a nice size tank they are much more attractive in my opinion but I have heard that the unicorns are friendly and will take algea sheets out of your hand. Carrie

merredeth

Originally Posted by sluggo
...They were about 12 to 16 inches long. The picture, if it posts is very poor as my camera is on the blink and the flash decided not to work.
Don
Nice pic Don and thanks for the note. I showed my husband the other pics loaded on this website and we opted not go for it. The lack of color was the biggest reason he opposed it.
I like the different and unusual, but one of the things I like to do is keep the hub somewhat involved in the decisions so he doesn't pitch a fit when I drop more money into this hobby.
If he only had a clue as to the real cost this hobby really is...
Denise M.