Upgrade suggestions / things that need fixing

meowzer

I thought I would start this since there seem to be some concerns regarding this upgrade
Let's keep it reasonable everyone
FOR ME:
Would like to be able to see what posts I have read already (use to be bold or not bold)
Would like to see a little more color difference in the threads
Would like to be able to post smilies w/o having to go to the advanced screen
ANYONE else have any "realistic" suggestions

aquaknight

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3247805
Would like to be able to see what posts I have read already (use to be bold or not bold)
Well there should be a gray closed envelope for threads you've read with no new replies. Pink for threads you've posted in with new replies, and blue for new posts where you haven't posted in the thread.
If we can get smilies into the quick reply, can we get the Spell Checker into the quick reply too? Because Firefox's checker doesn't work for some reason?
And more so an idea, what about a competition to design a header for the top of the page? (the dark blue box where the Home/Forum/Blog/What's New tabs are) It's a little plain, and a really nice header would look awesome up there.

meowzer

Well Aqua...your colors do not work for me...
ANYWAY....I will list something I do like....the notification tab on top that tells me when I have a visitor message
NOW...instead of CRABBING in other threads people....why not offer suggestions here on how SWF can improve what they are trying to do

novahobbies

OK, well.....if this is to be our official "suggestion" thread, let me add this:
The different color tabs is cool, but the blue and the grey colors need to be a little further apart colorwise. They look almost identical on my screen. Really, REALLY darn close.
The "quick navigation" dropdown menu on the bottom of a thread is not very quick right now. As it stands, no matter where you click it will bring up a long dropdown menu that you have to scroll through....it won't let you just click on the folder you're in. For instance, you're reading a thread in "Ask SWF.Com," you get to the end of the thread, and the only way to go back is to open the entire dropdown bar. You can't just click the link to "Ask SWF.Com;" it won't work. And yes I know you can just use your browsers Back and Refresh buttons
. All I'm sayin' is since they took the time to design the tool, we should tell them if it doesn't work.
Most of what I see here is good stuff. I like the fact that you can see message notifications so clearly. I like the general layout. I'm not to much a fan of the color, but hey, they don't have to ask if they want to change the colors. And I think the header design contest is a great idea.

novahobbies

OK, AquaKnight, with your reasoning, this morning this thread should have been pink with the open envelope. But even though it was at the top of the list of messages, for me this morning it was grey with the closed envelope. I did not read nissan's post last night; I was busy posting a small book over in the new hobbyist section. I'm confoozled again I'm afraid.
Unless I'm sleepwalking to the computer and reading SWF Posts in my sleep. Which, if my wife ever found out, wouldn't surprise her one darn bit.

meowzer

ANOTHER thing....We use to be able to see 50 posts per page.....now it is 20...can we get it back to 50?
I do not see a setting for that

saltwaterfish.com

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the great comments. They have been sent on to the developers to work on.
This is the latest version of vBulletin. It gives you advanced capabilities so you can optimize the online experience. Give it a few days so you can get used to the new features.
This is the cornerstone of an enhanced educational area we are developing for saltwaterfish.com. There is more to come with articles, "How To's", blogs and more. Stay Tuned.
Enjoy.
Scott

pezenfuego

Do I sense a hint of sarcasm?
Articles and an ability to embed? With a little more color, this would be everything we have ever wanted. I like the spell check most of all.

spanko

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3248172
ANOTHER thing....We use to be able to see 50 posts per page.....now it is 20...can we get it back to 50?
I do not see a setting for that
Look in the general settings area.

novahobbies

Originally Posted by Saltwaterfish.com
http:///forum/post/3248181
Thanks for the great comments. They have been sent on to the developers to work on.
This is the latest version of vBulletin. It gives you advanced capabilities so you can optimize the online experience. Give it a few days so you can get used to the new features.
This is the cornerstone of an enhanced educational area we are developing for saltwaterfish.com. There is more to come with articles, "How To's", blogs and more. Stay Tuned.
Enjoy.
Scott
Scott, Sounds like some interesting things are coming down the pipeline. Could you also have the developers look at the parameters of the search engine? I just did a search for "bryopsis" which turned up nothing. Now I KNOW we've had some "bryopsis" articles in here in the past. I started wondering if the search criteria have been limited due to the upgrade. Just to test this theory, I searched for "Hair ALgae." This pulled up a grand total of 8 threads....and as I suspected, all were within a recent time frame. All had been responded to in the past 2 days. Weird!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I've added to the title and stickied this topic.
It may be helpful to have this as the official suggestions/kinks to be worked out topic.
I'd suggest to keep the posts simple, and minimize conversation in this topic so that it is easy for SWF to look at and read through.

meowzer

The length of time for pages to load is kinda lenghty.....(and I have used 4 different computers, so I am pretty sure it has to do with the upgrade and not computer maintenance)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Except that I'm not having a bit of problem with that. Maybe version of IE?