Upgrading Techniques

uscmizzy

I currently have a 36g tank and currently aren't looking to upgrade but eventually will have to so I wanted to know how others have done it. Do you have to use all new stuff? Did you use any sand or rock from the old aquarium? How did you transfer fish?

When I do upgrade it will be a rectangle 55g that I have for just an FYI

Kristin1234

I will be following this. I am also about to upgrade since our new home is almost done! I plan to use my old system as a qt/hospital tank.

lmforbis

I went from a 55 to a 125 a little over a year ago. I had to first move the old tank because the new one was going into the same place. I then set up the new one. I moved about half the rock initially the rest when I moved the fish a couple days later. I used the old sand and even though I washed it thoroughly it was a bad idea that I regretted for months. If I did it again I'd use all new sand. After the new tank was full and the water cleared and at the correct temp I moved everything else. I watched ammonia closely but everything stayed stable. I used as much of my old equipment as I could. I added another light and another heater. Over the next few months I upgraded my sump and skimmer and added a carbon and GFO reactor.

uscmizzy

Yea I'll be going from a 36 gallon to a 55 gallon. So I'll def be getting new sand that's good to know I would have just used the old sand too. Did you add more live rock?