UV Sterilizer

thefishranch

I have a 90 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump. Can I lay this Green Killing Machine sideways in the sump? It doesn't have to be vertical or standing up right does it? Also I usually will always buy something to spec a larger tank than I have. This unit says up to 120 gallons? Would having another one in a separate chamber in the sump help?

lmforbis

Orientation shouldn't matter as long as it is meant to be submerged. Personally I'm not a fan of UV sterilizers. They don't irradicate disease, they do kill benificial things like pods, they cost a lot. Just don't see any point in buying one.

jay0705

Unfortunately i agree with imforbis. Also the bulbs have to be changed regularly or they dont work either

silverado61

They actually make me quite nervous because of all the havoc it reeks on beneficial organisms. If you really want one, hook it up to your R/O system.

thefishranch

Thanks to all for the feedback. I seem to have a problem unlike I've seen before with green algae glazing the glass and building up. I've also lost 4 fish. I thought these tanks with sumps were supposed to be easier. It's been much harder out of the gate. I did a 40 gallon water change yesterday and added quick start. Hopefully that helps.

silverado61

Thanks to all for the feedback. I seem to have a problem unlike I've seen before with green algae glazing the glass and building up. I've also lost 4 fish. I thought these tanks with sumps were supposed to be easier. It's been much harder out of the gate. I did a 40 gallon water change yesterday and added quick start. Hopefully that helps.
How long has the tank been up and running? What kind of filtration system do you have in your sump? Quick start is usually not recommended in saltwater tanks. Sorry about the loss of your fish. Have you tested your water? What are the test results?

thefishranch

I didn't test the water since I was going to change out 40 gallons and the damage was already done. I've heard that quick start has always been good to use. I've recently gravitated from a 50 gallon tank (started in 2004) with a hang over the back standard pump and skimmer to this beautiful 90 gallon reef tank with a 30 gallon sump. No corals right now. I have a lot of live rock in the tank and some in the 2nd chamber of the sump, that's also where I did out the UV Sterilizer is in the 2nd chamber. In the 3rd chamber I have my pump and heater and the first chamber is where the filter sock is along with my protein skimmer, 4 bags of ceramic rings and the filter separating water running over to the 2nd chamber.

lmforbis

Any algae is a result of high nutrients. Decrease the nitrate and phosphate algae will follow.
In the long term sumps are great. All tanks go through periods of the uglies. Usually it is just a matter of being patient and waiting it out especially in the early months.

silverado61

I'm not a big fan of ceramic rings or bio balls. They do their job but if you ever have a power outage everything they have trapped will be released back into the water.