Valentini Puffer eat my shrimp?

ssmariner9

I really wanna get a valentini puffer for my 55, but if I also get a cleaner shrimp or 2 will he definatly mes with them?? What are the chances he would leave them alone? I really only want the cleaners because I think it would be really neat to watch them clean a fish, plus the health benfits.

killafins

i fed my puffer pawn, a type of shrimp. Soemthing the puffer would it. Something that the puffer would eat in it's wild environment given the chance. Soemthing that holds nutrition. Pawn holds nutrition frozen. Prawn is a type of shrimp. Cleanershrimp is a type of shrimp. Cleanershrimp have a tendacy to jump when running from predator giving the predator a chance to chow down. Puffers would take this chance to chow down on the prey.
Would this puffer eat the shrimp? :notsure:

edwar050

depends on the puffer but if I had to bet I would say it would be alright. My valentini's in with four peppermint shrimp in a 55. I have even heard of cleaner shrimp cleaning valentinis.

birdy

A lot of fish will leave cleaners alone because they are benefical to them, but there are no guarantee's, you just have to try it, keep the puffer well fed.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Birdy
A lot of fish will leave cleaners alone because they are benefical to them, but there are no guarantee's, you just have to try it, keep the puffer well fed.
Yep, definitely no guarantees either way. You have to know your puffer. Valentini's normally eat shrimp, but there are a lot of people who have them with shrimp either because the puffer is docile, they keep it well fed, or another various reason. If you do not think the puffer is aggressive, give it a shot.

jayc

Yep it might leave it alone and it might eat it. I seen a picture one time of a cleaner shrimp cleaning the inside of a green morey ell.

edwar050

from what i have heard sharpnose saddle puffers do better with inverts and corals if they are fed and introduced to prepaired foods at an early age. This makes sense because a wild puffer would instinctly eat everything in site. Anybody known about breeding puffers?