Warning about grocery store RO Water

angelgirl

Just to warn the new!! I got lazy yesterday and bought a gallon of RO water from the local grocery store, when I got home I decided to test before i topped off my tank. I am fighting a hair algea problem and confess I am a bit obsessive about water quality, well to my supprise and horror it was full of phosphate and nitrate. I am so glad i went the extra mile and tested before adding. I just wanted to pass this on.
Angelgirl

rod_the_gh

I've been buying cheap RO water from a grocery store for the past month. I have a horrible hair algae problem. I was trying to figure out why I all of a sudden had hair algae all over. I went out and bought Culligan RO/DI water.

az

well do you think that they care if it goes into your stomach or your tanks?
Save yourselves alot of head aches and by your own filtration system. Is far less money in the long run and far better quality.
For the stores attitude if you can drink it, it is OK! But as we know that is not the case for your tanks.

toughguy80

Originally Posted by AZ
Save yourselves alot of head aches and by your own filtration system. Is far less money in the long run and far better quality.
I highly agree with this! I use to run to the store to fill up water. After I realized that thier water wasn't clean, I started to buy already bottled RO/DI water. My girlfriend got me a DI/RO system for my birthday last year and in the long run has saved me tons of $$$. Intitial cost is around $100+ for a good 1, with some ranging higher for more features and filtration. It quickly pays for itself though as you no longer waste money at the stores.

O

oreo12

there is a nice cheep one on the ---- site for around $60.00 I bought it when it first came out for around well less than that I have been using it for a few months and have seen no ill effects from it.

swlover

I found this on about.com..will this work as water purifier? I'm kinda doubting it will..but i'm hoping!!
If you are using fresh tap water as the source to make-up aquarium saltwater or top-off your system with, here are easy to follow instructions for making a simple PVC constructed tap water filter that can achieve about the same purification results as with a more costly commerical TWP (Tap Water Purifier).
Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: 30 minutes or less
Here's How:
1. Cut a desired length of 2 and 1/2 inch diameter PVC pipe.
2. Drill a hole in the center of the end cap, of a suitable size to match the vinyl hose diameter for insertion or attachment.
3. Attach the end cap to one end of the PVC pipe.
4. Attach a desired length of the vinyl hose to the drilled hole in the end cap.
5. Roll up a piece of Poly-Bio-Marine Inc.'s PolyFilter material and place it inside the PVC pipe and add activated carbon.
6. Simply pour or run tap water down through the open end of the PVC filter and direct the treated water that comes out of the vinyl hose into your saltwater aquarium or storage a container.
Tips:
100% silicone sealant can be used to seal the vinyl hose and end cap connection.
This DIY plan was contributed by Don Carner. Therefore, all inquires about this project should be directed to him.
What You Need:
2 and 1/2 inch PVC
1 matching PVC end cap
vinyl hose
a drill
activated carbon
PolyFilter material
More How To's from your Guide To Saltwater Aquariums

bailey52

sounds primitive.. but i mean if your gonna use tap.. that cant help.... but whats the diff if you have activated carbon in your tank already.. then that seems pointless

bluelagoon

i have absolutely no problems with the ro water i buy out of the machine at wal-mart. i go thru a gal of water about every week and a half to two weeks. (my tank's 5 gal). i've never seen any hair algea in my tank at all. i get a little algea on the sides of my tank, just that reddish and brownish and greenish stuff that will like, peel away. i haven't had any problems with it tho since i moved my tank.
the machine claims to be culligan ro water. but hey, 50 cents a month for water ain't bad! lol

dvst8r

yea .50 cents a month isnt bad at all but my tank evaporates about 2 gallons a day then 25-30 gallon water changes twice a week thats alot of high quality h2o

littlebuck

just to let everyone know about the water at walmart. That water is almost as good as my tap water. Sicne its not RO/Di water its nothing thats a diffrence then reg tap water. Sicne you cant drink the DI water they cant sell it at the store for people to drink. So if you want good water then get an RO/Di unit or use tap water LOL I might start doing that soon. :hilarious

swlover

Originally Posted by Bailey52
sounds primitive.. but i mean if your gonna use tap.. that cant help.... but whats the diff if you have activated carbon in your tank already.. then that seems pointless
This is what they said tap water will do and whats in it..by using the carbon/filter material it takes out these chemicals and heavy metals.

Pretreat the tap water with chlorine, then dechlorinate it before pouring it into our system or making-up your sea salt mix. This method of treating tap water may be good for killing off potential bacteria that may be present, but it does not remove contributory problem chemical elements such as phosphates, nitrates and silicates that give rise to algae blooms, or heavy metals such as copper or iron that are detrimental to reef animals.
I don't know I'm asking if this will work and if anybody has ever used it? I guess you want to remove all that before it filters in your tank-what could it hurt? I guess you could make this contraption and then test a small amount before using it to see, or better yet, I bet a gravel cleaner could be used the same way (just for testing) to see if it works, before making this thing.
I think I will try it and see-when I get my test kit (haven't set up my tank yet either) or maybe one of you all can test it-like an experiment! Hey if it means not lugging tanks of water around-or buying an expensive water purifier-I'm all for it!
They make a thingy like this-they sell it at wally world-that has a large tube/ fitting for you faucet thats about 25 ft long so you can just drop it in the tank and hook it up to your sink-if this carbon/filter thing works thats what I'll be getting-and it's reversiable so you can also clean your tank-do water changes without lugging water back and forth.

ruaround

Originally Posted by rei511
why can't you drink di water?
you can drink Di water, it is often not advised because it may be "too pure" and not rehydrate your body...there are valid arguments on both sides...it also tastes bland...
when purchasing RO water from the grocery store machine...look at the mainetance chart on the side to see if it serviced on a schedule...if there isnt one be leary, but I used to use RO from the walmart and didnt have a problem with phosphstes or nitrates...
I agree with the statement of purchasing your own unit... saves money and most importantly time...