Water changes:

Hello everyone

Just got a 65 gallon set up at our house, it came to us from being in the care of my fiance's mom for the past 8 + years where it was being serviced by an aquarium store. I am new to saltwater but am experienced with freshwater. For water changes I always used tap water and added a conditioner to it (I like prime). That being said, my fiance is used to having distilled water delivered and using that, but she and her mom never do the changes, it is always the store. The store owner and her say I can't use tap water. Is this true? Even if it isn't there is no way she would let me do it, so where do people get their distilled water from????

silverado61

Depending on where you live, major grocery stores like Wal-Mart sells it in a dispenser by the gallon. Or you could install your own RO-DI unit in your home and make it yourself.

lmforbis

Definitely no tap water. I have a RODI system installed under my kitchen sink at home. Super easy DIY project. I bought my system from bulk reef supply. I have DI separate and it is only for the fish. THe RO part I have plumber to my sink for drinking water and to my fridge for ice. It’s great for coffee and I never have to descale the coffee pot. I just need to turn a valve and the water is sent through the DI resin and directly to my mixing tank and auto top off tank. It takes a while to make the 30 gallons I change every week but my system is easy to use.

Like Silverado said, you can buy RO at a lot of big stores. It is not as pure as RODI and not as pure as a home system where you are in charge of the maintenance but it will do. I haven’t used that for a couple years but when I did it cost $0.33 per gallon at Walmart. It is just too much work to haul 6 5 gallon jugs home from Walmart every week.

jay0705

I agree w above. Tap water is just full of stuff that helps grow all kinds of stuff you don't want. Alagae being the most common.

beaslbob

RO/DI water is needed for corals because they can't stand ions like copper.

But for a fish only tank tap water is fine IMHO

and worth about .02 LOL

Thanks,
I think for now I will be lugging distilled water jugs home, but in time we will probably have a system installed. It is just the 65 gallon right now, so shouldn't need that much water each week.

lmforbis

I'd say at least 10% water changes so at least 6 gallons a week. It is also a good idea to have a full water change worth of water on hand in case of an emergency. Plus you will need that water for top offs. Personally I do 25% water changes every week or two.

Yeah I figured I would do around 8 gallons a week water change. That being said. We have some really old marine salt that hasn't been used in quite a while. Would you guys suggest throwing that out and getting fresh marine salt for the water changes? Does salt go bad??

lmforbis

Yes throw it out. You can get instant ocean box for 200 gallons on line at Amazon for under $50 with free shipping delivered to your door.

Great sounds good. I will order some salt, in the meantime I picked up a bag for 50 gallons for my first water change on Monday. I plan to start with probably 10 gallon water changes weekly for my 65 gallon set up. Do you automatically do weekly changes with your tank, or are you checking nitrates and going by that?