Water level adjustment

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what you mean. You can put the water in your tank at whatever level you like.

jay0705

Agreed lol, just not flowing over the top. I generally keep mine about 1/4" from the brace

lmforbis

With a sump it also has to do with the flow rate. Adjust your return flow so the water level is where you want it. Increase flow for higher and decrease for lower. Then adjust your sump water level.

silverado61

With a sump it also has to do with the flow rate. Adjust your return flow so the water level is where you want it. Increase flow for higher and decrease for lower. Then adjust your sump water level.
Not necessarily. With a sump, the position of the overflows determines the water level. Higher/lower return flow just determines the turn over rate of the entire system. The over flows keep the display at a relatively consistent level. Water levels should only change in the sump which is where an ato steps in.

lmforbis

In my tank with the type of overflow I have the water level is higher when the return flow is higher. I get about a half inch difference between high and low flow. My plumbing is through the bottom of the tank not the back. I believe iidylii’s set up is similar corner over flow to mine.

2quills

If there's a will then there's a way. It just depends on the overflow design and flow rate as mentioned.

iidylii

Yes mine is on the bottom of the tank in the corner...and yes mine moves maybe 1/4” depending on flow rate...I was just making sure I wasn’t missing any type of secret way of adjusting this...

My water level is about 3/4-1” from the top of the tank...reason I want it down even further is every day my tank has drips down the front sides of it from these guy playing and splashing at the water surface :)

lmforbis

If I remember correctly you have the marine land corner overflow. If you remove the front piece you might be able to get it lower. You might also have to reduce the height of the return pipe to the sump.

iidylii

Yeah my flow rate into the tank must be to much because my tank level doesn’t sit at the bottom of the over flow slits like u think it would...the water level is about half way up the slits and draining into the overflow...and then when u look in the drain water column the water level in there is like 4 inches below the tank water level

beaslbob

Yeah my flow rate into the tank must be to much because my tank level doesn’t sit at the bottom of the over flow slits like u think it would...the water level is about half way up the slits and draining into the overflow...and then when u look in the drain water column the water level in there is like 4 inches below the tank water level
that sounds about normal. It takes some differences to form the pressure to get the flow sustained.

beaslbob

Yes mine is on the bottom of the tank in the corner...and yes mine moves maybe 1/4” depending on flow rate...I was just making sure I wasn’t missing any type of secret way of adjusting this...

My water level is about 3/4-1” from the top of the tank...reason I want it down even further is every day my tank has drips down the front sides of it from these guy playing and splashing at the water surface :)
You might try some kind of cover like egg crate, screen, glass, or combination to contain the splashing. Or even just glass/plastic verticals at the edges.

my .02