Well Here We Go!

2quills

Trump, lobbing tomahawks into Syria. Guess we'll see if the Russians are his friends or not lol.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How are presidents able to bypass the constitution when it comes to initiating wars.......

2quills

I think it's the War Powers Resolution that gives them authority for limited military use without a declaration of war.

Congress only needs to be notified before hand and it sounds like he did that from what I can tell.

Bush and Obama did similar stuff as well.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's the War Powers Resolution that gives them authority for limited military use without a declaration of war.

Congress only needs to be notified before hand and it sounds like he did that from what I can tell.

Bush and Obama did similar stuff as well.
Which is completely WRONG. This allows the USA to be the world bullies by bypassing our constitutional laws. Western globalist at work.

jay0705

I believe with out declaring war there is a time limit aswell. 90 days i believe with troops on the ground. I think this was a warning shot to n Korea

beth

Administrator
Staff member
90 days with modern warfare technology is more than enough time to destroy the world. There should not be any military actions made by the USA wo Congressional approval, as our constitution was intended. War is something that should be avoided by our country, not made easier by one single elected person given that power to decide. Shame on our Congress for allowing this now for over the past decades.

beaslbob

How are presidents able to bypass the constitution when it comes to initiating wars.......
simply he didn't.

There was much discussion and debate about congress's declaring war when writing and ratifying the constitution.

The debate was whether or not it should be congress makes or declares war.

The way it works is war is made by congress funding it and the president acting as commander in chief.

After that is done the congress can but is not required to declare the war. So it's just to let the world know about the war.

At the time congress declares that a state of war exists, the war is already in existence.

To end a war congress can defund it or the commander in chief can just stop the war.

So in this case the military was funded, the president acted in commander in chief and saw a need to act.

If that is unacceptable congress can defund further actions.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The powers of war clearly rests with Congress because Congress is directly representative of the citizens of the USA and it was the intent of our founders not to set the country up with monarchal power centralized under one person. Modern presidents have been skirting around this for decades and Congress has allowed it when they enacted the War Powers Resolution to deal with Nixon's covert shenanigans in Southeast Asia.

The office of the president is charged with defending this country...defending, not instigating, not policing the world.

2quills

Yeah but Nixon was merely trying to give the south Vietnamese some breathing room so that we could withdraw from the conflict and no longer be responsible for their security. Kind of like a parting gift before we left them to get eaten by wolves.

I think this is a little different. The resolution only requires potus to notify Congress. And apparently it doesn't even have to be before hand either but no longer than 48 hours after the use of force has taken place.

But I'm not sure you'll find a majority in Congress right now who don't agree with the strike. Many world leaders have been praising it today and oddly enough many democrats. Even Hillary lol.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Of course Democrats and Hillary will praise it. Trump is basically abandoning everything he told his voters he would do, and not do, to embrace the same old globalist goals where the USA leads the charge worldwide and the US taxpayers pay and pay the bill (and continue to bury ourselves in debt). Now I am not a Trump supporter, nor did I have any expectation that he would stick to his stated goals, or "trumped-up" ideology. I don't think he has an ideology. He latched on to what he thought would get him into office, and it did.

2quills

They all do. If they didn't then they wouldn't get elected lol.

What promise is he breaking by knocking out an air base that was used to distribute chemical weapons?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
America first. Did he not oppose moving against Syria in his campaign, and even stated the possibility of opening up discussions with Syria? Wasn't he a proponent of anti-globalism?

2quills

Initially i think he did yes. I believe his hope was that we'd be able to work together with russia and assad against isis but I'm guessing it's not going to happen now. They don't seem to want to change their ways. Won't work if both parties aren't willing. They broke the agreement they had with us and NATO yet again.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Latest info about Trump is that his Fla golfing vacations so far are on a par with Obama's total annual personal travel spending budget....coming from the guy who was openly critical of Obama's spending.

The goal was supposed to be bring down federal spending, America First. Run the annual budget in the black so that we can pay off our astronomical debt. So far, it's a no go. Trump's position was do less entanglements with Nato, less spending on foreign affairs that have little to do with us, focus are efforts on issues and needs at home.

2quills

I'm not sure we know how much those trips are costing. But it probably comes down to he we define the word Vacation.

Far as I can tell he's there for less than 2 days and they've been primarily business trips meeting with foreign leaders.

I cringe to think how much Obama spent traveling the world doing the same. Or his non stop cross country fund raising trips for democrats campaigns.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Business trips to Fla to meet with world leaders at his favorite golf course........go to camp david or, better, stay in washington and meet with world leaders there.

2quills

If you were a word leader where would you want to go? The stuffy old WH and check out busts of Winston Churchill or hang out at Mara Lago with the palm trees, breeze and smell of saltwater in the air and chill in private?

Some of these guys don't seem much like campers.

Just sayin...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you were a word leader where would you want to go? The stuffy old WH and check out busts of Winston Churchill or hang out at Mara Lago with the palm trees, breeze and smell of saltwater in the air and chill in private?

Some of these guys don't seem much like campers.

Just sayin...
LOL You do know that Camp David isn't exactly an RV park, right? And, it has the readiness to provide security for such events as presidential R&R as well as visitor accommodations for world leaders. It's the taxpayers dime, so there's that too to consider, and the trillions debt we have on our shoulders as well. Reward yourself as president with trips to luxury resorts AFTER your spending ledger is in the black.

Once upon a time it was perfectly ok for presidents to conduct business at Camp David, but since they've become excessively generous with themselves on the taxpayers dime, they have pretty much abandoned what's reasonable in favor of frequent royalty level accommodations. Kings went out of style in the USA in 1776.

https://whitehouse.gov1.info/camp-david/

beaslbob

The powers of war clearly rests with Congress because Congress is directly representative of the citizens of the USA and it was the intent of our founders not to set the country up with monarchal power centralized under one person. Modern presidents have been skirting around this for decades and Congress has allowed it when they enacted the War Powers Resolution to deal with Nixon's covert shenanigans in Southeast Asia.

The office of the president is charged with defending this country...defending, not instigating, not policing the world.
Beth and with respect.

Again and according to the constitution it is congress and the president who make war. It requires both. The founders did not want one and only one branch of government making war.