What Are Some Cool Clean-up Crew Members?

Pisces28

Last night I went out and purchased a few guys for my cuc, as my new BioCube 29G tank has finally finished its cycle!

I got:
  • 1x Fire Shrimp
  • 1x Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • 1x Scooter Blenny
  • 4x Naassarius Snails
I know this is nowhere near enough, but its what my LFS had at the moment.
I am looking for some ideas of cool cleaners, as I am new to this!
The tank will eventually contain soft corals, so I would not want to purchase anything that can kill the corals.
Also, would anyone suggest approximately how many members make a complete cleaner crew?

Bryce E

Is your scooter blenny accepting prepared food already?

As far as a clean up crew is concerned all's you really have is 4 snails right now. Sure the shrimp may forage for excess food left in the tank and some people would consider that part of the CUC package. But personally I do not. The main part of a CUC in my opinion are hermit crabs and snails... Hermit's are true scavengers and will seek out any leftover or uneaten food in the tank but they will also eat algae. The amount that you want is never very specific as you have to take several things into consideration. First off is bio load, so I'd ask what else you have in the tank as far as fish... or what you plan to have in the tank. For every animal that lives in the tank will reduce the amount of CUC that you can have. (But will increase the amount of CUC that you will want...lol)

Every animal produces waste... the better the filtration you have and the more frequent the water changes, the heavier you are able to go. It also depends upon the amount of live rock you have in your tank. if you have a tremendous amount then you'll also be providing more surface area for algae to grow and will want more. This increases your biological filtration however... it also reduces the amount of actual water in the system.

Can you post a picture of your tank? And maybe answer the following questions.

-List all animals currently in the tank
-List any animals you intend to add to the tank
-How much live rock do you have?
-What filtration is being used?
-Is your substrate sand or crushed coral/rock?
-What is going to be your water change schedule?

Thanks

jay0705

Emerald crabs are also handy.
The scooter has nothing to do w cuc. I hope they didn't tell u it did.

Pisces28

Thanks for the reply!

-List all animals currently in the tank

• 1x Fire Shrimp
  • 1x Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • 1x Scooter Blenny
  • 4x Naassarius Snails
-List any animals you intend to add to the tank

These two are definite because I already have them:
  • Sailfin Tang (Already have him in another tank waiting to be transferred)
  • Blue Damsel (Also have him in another tank waiting to be transferred)
  • Would like some crabs and more snails & shrimp, but unsure which ones!
Other animals i have not made any decisions on and will look into it when the time comes, but definitely some soft corals, hopefully a mandarin goby, and whichever other fish I can put into the tank under its current circumstances.. Any ideas? I am open to all suggestions since I am a beginner!

-How much live rock do you have?

• I have about 15lbs of live rock
-What filtration is being used?
  • I have not changed it from the stock filtration that comes with the Coralife BioCube 29G. It is a wet/dry system.
-Is your substrate sand or crushed coral/rock?
  • I have 40 lbs of live Bahamas oolite sand (the sand bed is pretty deep)
-What is going to be your water change schedule?
  • Actually need some advice on this, as I am unsure what the water schedule should be like.
Also, I am not sure how the lighting schedule should look.
I am getting a light timer today and need to set it up accordingly.
The tank has Actinic bulbs, 10,000k bulbs, and blue LED strip.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Here is a pic from last nights acclimation process. Its the only one I have at the moment!

t21.jpg
t22.jpg

jay0705

Lol they dont sand sift, they scoot along sand and rock looking for pods to eat. I have a few myself. Feed them, cyclopese, prawn roe, and enriched brine

Pisces28

Lol they dont sand sift, they scoot along sand and rock looking for pods to eat. I have a few myself. Feed them, cyclopese, prawn roe, and enriched brine
the man at my LFS gave me pellets and told me they are sufficient for now because I dont have much to feed in the tank. bad idea?

jay0705

First never go there again.
2nd google scooter blenny feeding
3rd cyclopese, and brine shrimp, to start. Mine eat mysis but it takes time. You have no other fish so that is good

Pisces28

First never go there again.
2nd google scooter blenny feeding
3rd cyclopese, and brine shrimp, to start. Mine eat mysis but it takes time. You have no other fish so that is good
are those foods okay for the shrimp to eat as well?

jay0705

Np, I dont want it to seem like iam bitching at u lol
its just very very these fish will eat pellets. I had a red scooter and green mandy that would, but its rare.

Bryce E

That's fine... If you actually see them eating it. My shrimp only eat fresh/frozen food like mysis, brine, blood worms, chopped fish etc..

What size tank is the sailfin currently in? Because they need a much larger tank than your 29 gallon... but anyways. Aside from all that... You definitely have a fair amount of rock... I'd say you're going to be able to add up to a dozen hermits to that tank... and yes Emerald crabs like Jay said are awesome too. Not only helpful but really fun to watch.

Now people on here may freak out and tell me that is way too many... but lately I've gone heavy on my hermits and it really helps to keep my tank really clean.

Your tank is new and you won't have much algae on your rocks yet so you'll likely have to supplement some food in the tank in order for them to thrive at first. as well as providing extra shells for them (Just watch your water quality and don't overfeed)

As far as water changes go... I recommend 10% to 15% changed weekly. You should start this now since your tank has just got done cycling you are going to want to remove the excess nitrates. I believe that the strict water changes... especially in a smaller tank has been my only reason for success.

And don't look at adding a Green Mandarin to that tank unless you have an established copepod population... unless you see one at a store eating frozen/prepared foods already. But even if you add them now It will also be unlikely that copepods are going to have an opportunity to establish themselves and take off in the tank with the current presence of the Scooter Blenny.

Pisces28

That's fine... If you actually see them eating it. My shrimp only eat fresh/frozen food like mysis, brine, blood worms, chopped fish etc..

What size tank is the sailfin currently in? Because they need a much larger tank than your 29 gallon... but anyways. Aside from all that... You definitely have a fair amount of rock... I'd say you're going to be able to add up to a dozen hermits to that tank... and yes Emerald crabs like Jay said are awesome too. Not only helpful but really fun to watch.

Now people on here may freak out and tell me that is way too many... but lately I've gone heavy on my hermits and it really helps to keep my tank really clean.

Your tank is new and you won't have much algae on your rocks yet so you'll likely have to supplement some food in the tank in order for them to thrive at first. as well as providing extra shells for them (Just watch your water quality and don't overfeed)

As far as water changes go... I recommend 10% to 15% changed weekly. You should start this now since your tank has just got done cycling you are going to want to remove the excess nitrates. I believe that the strict water changes... especially in a smaller tank has been my only reason for success.

And don't look at adding a Green Mandarin to that tank unless you have an established copepod population... unless you see one at a store eating frozen/prepared foods already. But even if you add them now It will also be unlikely that copepods are going to have an opportunity to establish themselves and take off in the tank with the current presence of the Scooter Blenny.
I definitelt dont want to add a mandarin anytime soon, as I know their care level is a littrle more difficult.
As far as pods go, I am not familiar with what they are and how to get them and what they are for.
Also, I am using Live nutri-seawater. Waste of money, right?

jay0705

Scooter blennys and mandarin are basically the same fish.there both draggonets. Sea water, honestly mix ur own its cheaper

jay0705

i have a sailfin in my 20 gallon living for over 3 years now.
He is not very big and seems to be doing fine, although i know it is recommended he goes into a much larger tank
Lol they get over a foot, so yes much bigger