What Are Some Cool Clean-up Crew Members?

Bryce E

Yes.. You're going to want to get yourself an RO unit.. even a small cheap one is pretty decent... you can pick up an RO buddie for like $60 and it makes 50 gallons a day. With the amount of water changes you are going to be doing you are absolutely going to want to prepare your own water.. not only because of the expense in the long run but also the convenience in your life! lol.. but that's just coming from a guy that started out using tap back in the day to switching to buying already made saltwater... to getting free RO water from a LFS and mixing my own with salt... to eventually having my own unit altogether. Way better and I'm never at the mercy of anyone for water in my tank.. I make as mush as I want... when I want.

jay0705

I just get mine from a local brook. Mix the salt all done! Joking joking r/o is the way to go

Bryce E

And copepods are tiny little crustaceans. They are healthy for your system (they are also part of a CUC) and they will be a live food source for things like dragonettes. Depending upon the source of your live rock you may already have a presence of them... but you can purchase them. Saltwaterfish sells amphipods or copepods I think for around $20 and they will easily populate in your tank... aside from having that scooter blenny of course..lol But if he's not eating the food you're providing him then you may want to look into this anyways.
copepods_amphipods.PNG

Pisces28

Lol they get over a foot, so yes much bigger
unfortunately they didnt tell me this when i purchased him and said he would be okay in my 15 gallon at the time.
3 years later hes my favorite fish that ive had, and im working on giving him a better home, but unfortunately not much of a bigger one due to lack of space in my house

Pisces28

And copepods are tiny little crustaceans. They are healthy for your system (they are also part of a CUC) and they will be a live food source for things like dragonettes. Depending upon the source of your live rock you may already have a presence of them... but you can purchase them. Saltwaterfish sells amphipods or copepods I think for around $20 and they will easily populate in your tank... aside from having that scooter blenny of course..lol But if he's not eating the food you're providing him then you may want to look into this anyways.
View attachment 749
Thanks! do you know how many i would need and how often to put them into the tank? looks like something i would like to put in there because they look cool and are beneficial!

jay0705

Is this the same place u got your scooter?
Supplement pods is a good idea. You really can have too many. If you get some macro alage it is helpful too

Pisces28

Is this the same place u got your scooter?
Supplement pods is a good idea. You really can have too many. If you get some macro alage it is helpful too
it was a different store which i dont go to for multiple reasons now..

as far as pods, im looking online and people sell them by the oz.
I just get a few ounces and throw them directly into the tank?
do i replenish the supply or do they reproduce?
Im such a newb at this lol

jay0705

Lol check out swf.com its a bug load of pods. U can do either, but your scooter will eat alot

Bryce E

Yeah, you will find that they will reproduce fine if there's a good/safe place for them where they cannot be eaten... sump, filter, refugium, live rock, etc. Enough to stay established with the Scooter Blenny already present in a new tank? Not sure...

Pisces28

Thanks for all the help!!

one last question..well two.. my fire shrimp has not come out of hiding since i put him in the tank last night.. is this okay?

Also, Ive had the lights off ever since adding these guys last night. Any idea on how to run the lighting properly? going to buy a timer today.. thanks again

Pisces28

the fire shrimp has not come out of hiding since i brought him home, almost two days now.. is this normal? for a $50 shrimp Im not happy lol.. my skunk cleaner is doing great and running around all over, so im just curious.
Also, my scooter blenny is not eating pellets at all!
I will be going to buy him a variety of frozen shrimp today and hoping he will eat because he is making me nervous :(

t.jpg

aduvall

Those dudes are tough to feed. You're best bet is live pods until you can train him to eat frozen stuff...

jay0705

Didnt believe me? Lol
Cyclopese and brine for scooter. The shrimp, use a flash light an hr after lights off he'll be out lol