What Are Some Cool Clean-up Crew Members?

Pisces28

Its iffy if he will or not.
training means getting him to realize frozen is food too
in my old tank, used to take one frozen cube and drop it into a little bit of warm water until it melted and then pour it into the tank, but i was never sure if this is the right way to feed the fish

jay0705

Mix cyclopese and brine. Both frozen. Thaw in tank water. Pour a little by him and see what he eats

pegasus

in my old tank, used to take one frozen cube and drop it into a little bit of warm water until it melted and then pour it into the tank, but i was never sure if this is the right way to feed the fish
Never pour the water in the tank... only the food. The water will be full of nutrients that won't be consumed by anything, pollutes your tank, and can cause excessive algae growth. I use a fine mesh net and rinse frozen food (tap water in the sink) to remove the liquid and/or gel. I give it a few good shakes to remove as much water as possible, and it's good to go. I usually put it in a small glass (or bowl) with a few ounces of tank water and suck it up with a turkey baster. Using a turkey baster allows me to spot feed where I want the food to be. I usually do this for corals, but my fish enjoy eating it as it comes out of the baster, too. This could help you drop a little food in front of any fish you're trying to train to eat frozen. You just have to move slowly so you don't spook the fish.

pegasus

Mix cyclopese and brine. Both frozen. Thaw in tank water. Pour a little by him and see what he eats
IF you must use brine, only use "enriched" brine, as brine alone has low nutritional value. Live brine can be enriched by soaking flake food with a supplement like Selcon and gut loading the shrimp with this treated food. If frozen brine is all you can do, always use enriched, and try to add variety with that diet.

jay0705

I believe hikari is all enriched brine if that helps. I know its vitamin c enriched.
I use spirulina brine bc my tang eats it too

pegasus

I agree, brine sucks. But usually they will eat it and u go from there
Yeah, there aren't many fish that will pass up the chance eat brine. It's a delicious snack. They're low in protein and HUFA, so if it was all it ate... even if it filled it's gut with them every day... it would eventually starve to death from malnutrition. I don't waste my money on brine...

pegasus

I believe hikari is all enriched brine if that helps. I know its vitamin c enriched.
I use spirulina brine bc my tang eats it too
Ocean Nutrition has Brine Shrimp Plus, and their web site states: The brine shrimp is supplemented with a nutritious blend of seafood, plankton, natural algae and vitamins. Complete balanced nutrition for healthier and more colorful tropical fish. Contains stabilized Vitamin C and other immune boosters. Excellent for reef tank applications, including nano reef tanks.
Ingredients: Marine shrimp, brine shrimp, marine clams, squid, krill, fish hydrolysate, spinach, fish oil, green algae, astaxanthin, canthaxanthin, vitamins (choline chloride, ascorbic acid (stabilized Vitamin C), Vitamin E supplement, niacin, thiamin mononitrate, folic acid, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfate complex, Vitamin A acetate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, biotin) and trace elements (manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, sodium selenite).
As you can see, there's a LOT more than just brine shrimp. If I run across any of this, I might even give it a try.

jay0705

Yea , I dont think I've seen it. I'll have to keep an eye open myself. Thats rods food is supp to be good too, I haven't tried that yet either

Pisces28

just checked the package of the crap I got today and it appears to have nothing nutritional in it! I'm learning something new in every post, thanks to you guys! on a brighter note, my scooter blenny happily ate this food, so now I would like to find a better one but I am clueless where to get it. my LFS doesn't have good brine shrimp but I will have to check with another store by me and hopefully they'll have a better one. otherwise, I have no idea what to do

jay0705

Order online bud. Most places its a flat shipping rate for frozen. Its how I get prawn roe when its avb

silverado61

Get brine shrimp eggs and hatch them yourself. That's what I do to supplement diets by feeding baby brine. They love to chase it down. You can almost see the smile on their little faces.

Pisces28

any particular website i should check out?
this is my first time with all of this! dont even know what brine is lol but going to do some research now..

1.jpg
2.jpg

jay0705

Yup thats the cheap stuff lol not meaning price but quality. Hikari makes a good frozen food. SanFrancisco bay does do cyclopese tho