What cause bubble algae?

scrapman

I have read a lot of posts on bubble algae. Nowhere I could find the cause of that pest.
Does anyone know how yo prevent bubble algae to:
1- start in your tank
2- ultimately take over your tank.
Water parameter, light???
Thanks

deejeff442

like anything (accept green hair and red cyno) bubble algae has to br brought into the system.on rock or spores in water.
emerald crabs eat it up like candy.

scrapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/390247/what-cause-bubble-algae#post_3454707
like anything (accept green hair and red cyno) bubble algae has to br brought into the system.on rock or spores in water.
emerald crabs eat it up like candy.
Thanks.... I tried a couple of emerald crabs... they became immediately invisible and I hevent' seen a reduction in my bubble algae. Are emerald crabs OK with soft corals?

slice

I put a male/female pair of emeralds in the tank about 2 months ago to take care of a couple of bubbles. They did a great job, no bubbles since a week after they arrived. One stays out most of the time, the other one hasn't been seen since arrival.
The last time I had emeralds, the male went into the rock at about 1", stayed a couple of months. Came out as Bruce Banner, about 3" tip to tip.

flower

When you first notice it..gently pick it off and toss it. You don't want to break the bubble.
Personally, it's a sign of a healthy tank, It's a macro algae and JMO it's pretty...looks like marbles. As the algae grows and you remove it, you are removing nitrates and phosphates from your system. Hair algae and cyano are a sign of water problems, not so with bubble algae. We get bubble algae in our tanks mostly because the spores hitchhike on live rock.