What do you post here?

E

enigma1388

its a friendly place to yell at and make those people who but live stock into their tank that doesn't belong. for example an angel into a 12 gal nano or such.

alix2.0

i think its stuff along the lines of responsible collection, not dumping caulerpa down the drain, not releasing stuff from your tank into the wild, etc.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by enigma1388
http:///forum/post/2601991
its a friendly place to yell at and make those people who but live stock into their tank that doesn't belong. for example an angel into a 12 gal nano or such.
ah that could be it too.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
A suggestion would be the first place for every new aquarist to stop by while visiting SWF...of course once it gets going.
Take a look at Bob Fenner's book, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist.

murph

IMO its a place where the tree huggers can suth there guilty conscious by labeling this or that "responsible" keeping of this live stock in extremely confined quarters.
There was a day when the majority of hobbyist were of a scientific mind and all of this nonsense was met with the appropriate eye roll. I guess its the price we have to pay for the expansion of the hobby.

ophiura

Actually it is a reflection of the MATURITY of the hobby. As we go from being "me me me" to having a bigger understanding of the impact of this hobby on the wild ecosystem and how we can mitigate that.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/2602156
Actually it is a reflection of the MATURITY of the hobby. As we go from being "me me me" to having a bigger understanding of the impact of this hobby on the wild ecosystem and how we can mitigate that.
Ditto
Ditto
Ditto

scrombus2

Responsible? Yeah, we are. Ethical? Not so much...75 FOWLR, all local flora and fauna, including a small gag grouper and two spiny lobster, all juuuuust a little short of legal. I cultured 150 lbs of rock for a year on a 20 ft. reef and retrieved it for the aquarium and collected all manner of fish and inverts.Water changes are straight from the Gulf Stream. Live sand is from offshore, too.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by scrombus2
http:///forum/post/2637960
Responsible? Yeah, we are. Ethical? Not so much...75 FOWLR, all local flora and fauna, including a small gag grouper and two spiny lobster, all juuuuust a little short of legal. I cultured 150 lbs of rock for a year on a 20 ft. reef and retrieved it for the aquarium and collected all manner of fish and inverts.Water changes are straight from the Gulf Stream. Live sand is from offshore, too.
Big brother is watching

srgvigil

Originally Posted by scrombus2
http:///forum/post/2637960
That's your fault then, a responsible marine aquarist can chose to take a fish from the wild, or get one that has been tank raised, a responsibe marine aquarist will not have endangered species of fish and coral in the tank, question also are you saying that you did all that stuff personaly? Cause isn't it illegal to do without a permit?

mom2ella

I was quite upset once my husband bought an RO/ DI filter only to find that so much water goes back down the drain as waste. I started watering plants with it, but I only have so many plants to water. I know we need the stuff for the tank, but it makes me sad the amount of wasted H2O.

scrombus2

Actually, with the exception of the lobsters and grouper, everything is legal. No permits necessary, except a Florida saltwater fishing license. Since I brought the base rock out to my culturing spot, it was legal also. My jab at ethics was in reference to the short lobsters and grouper.I laminated a copy of the tropical marine species collection laws and keep it with me on the boat.

reefereric

Ha, that went from, "Oh jeez....." to "Well, that was nicely thought out!"

On a side note, we all know that sometimes the LFS or pet store can get ahold of things that mjaybe aren't quite Kosher, so to speak. My wife wanted a turtle, a little red eared slider, and we got one at the pet store for her. Only thing is, it was too small to be legal, and we didn't know it until LONG after the purchase!
I know we should be responsible, but in all honesty, I don't have the time to reaearch everything I get endlessly. I make sure it will work with my setup and inhabitants. I learn the care. Past that, I figure something rarer has a better chance at living with me than in someones tank who doesn't watch it closely.

hexedagain1

scrombus2;2641801 said:
Since I brought the base rock out to my culturing spot, it was legal also. QUOTE]
It is not legal in the state of Florida to either place or remove rock from the waters. No matter if you placed it there or not. Serious, check into that again.