what fish can you keep in a 5 gallon tank

S

surfinusa

what fish can you keep in 5 gallon tank i was thinking of like a royal gramma or a clown fish what fish would be good

debbie

A 5 gal as mentioned is to small for fish. But the Sexy Shrimp is a great idea. These little guys are so cute and if you did a nice rock formation with some small corals and put these guys and some inverts it would be quite an interesting tank.
Take a look in the Nano section and see if there are any 5 gal tank pics there?

lion_crazz

Yeah, I would not recommend any fish either. The only fish that I might say was okay would be like a neon goby, or perhaps even a clown goby. I would definitely not do a clown or royal gramma.

lion_crazz

I am just being curious, but is there any reason why anyone would buy a harlequin shrimp, knowing that you need to feed it live starfish on a weekly basis for it to survive?

zanoshanox

If it were my tank I would just get some cool zoanthids, shrooms, and some softies and see hwo that wenbt...get some coll inverts like crabs and shrimp....But if I had to do a fish I woudl say clown goby is your best choice.

drewsta

Lion that is incorrect they do eat live starfish but can survive and thrive on one feeding every 3-4 weeks with no problem. just FYI

lion_crazz

Really? I have not seen or heard that. What else do they eat?
Just out of curiousity, have you personally kept a harlequin shrimp?

drewsta

I work at a LFS and I set up a 12G nano for display with a pair of harlequins i mean the little buggers are expensive $35.99 each. I have tried other food ie frozen squid/mysis/brine/krill/silversides. They only tank to starfish however we feed CC starfish every 3-4 weeks they digest really slow and it takes about 3 days to totally eat a CC starfish the size of a silver dollar

shrimpdady

Some people keep percula or ocellaris pairs in a 10 gallon, why not one in a 5 gallon if you topped off the water every day and changed water weekly?
Don't flame me, I am just wondering........

mario

Originally Posted by ShrimpDady
Some people keep percula or ocellaris pairs in a 10 gallon, why not one in a 5 gallon
Some people keep tangs and large angels in 29 gal but that doesn't make it right ;-)
I'm not an expert but 5 gal looks very small to me. I would consider fresh water fish if I had to use that tank.

saltwater8

Originally Posted by mario
Some people keep tangs and large angels in 29 gal but that doesn't make it right ;-)
EXACTLY!

NO saltwater fish belongs in a 5 gallon tank...
And NO clown belongs in a 10 gallon tank...

connor

not to hijak but if you froze starfish could you feed them frozen parts of them???? :thinking:

lion_crazz

Saltwater8, I think you are being a bit harsh. A clown goby or neon goby are tiny fish, and stay quite small as well. They do not do much swimming, and would make perfect tank inhabitants for a 5 gallon.
Also, have you seen Bang Guy's 10 gallon nano tank? He has two clowns in there, and I would say they arw quite healthy and happy.

lion_crazz

Saltwater8, I think you are being a bit harsh. A clown goby or neon goby are tiny fish, and stay quite small as well. They do not do much swimming, and would make perfect tank inhabitants for a 5 gallon.
Also, have you seen Bang Guy's 10 gallon nano tank? He has two clowns in there, and I would say they arw quite healthy and happy.

saltwater8

Hello Lion!

I assume you know the renowned marine biologists Fenner and Michael?
They both say, not me, that NO saltwater fish belongs in a 5 gallon aquarium and NO clown belongs in a 10 gallon aquarium.
Not trying to be harsh, just trying to educate

:happyfish