What is going on with my Scolly?

chrisely24

1116152055 (1024x576).jpg
The Scolly was all the way out to the edges about a week ago and now it looks as if it is retracting. It is eating good when I feed it.
I just checked my salinity tonight and it is at 30. I have been busy and have not checked it in a while.
I am mixing water now to do a 20 gallon change and bring it back to 35. I am hoping that is the problem.

bang guy

A Salinity of 30ppt should cause that type of raction, but i won't help it ether. What about Alkalinity?

Is it getting sufficient waterflow?

chrisely24

Yeah it has a steady flow of water from the gyre.
I have been fighting with my Mag, Alk, and Cal. trying to keep the levels normal.
Calcium is usually within the 390 to 420 range lower right before a water change. , Mag has been around 1100 so, I bought some aquavitro Ions in hopes to raise it up some.
I am doing the water change in a few so I will re-check all the levels on Thurs or Fri when It settles.

I need to go ahead and buy a dosing pump I guess. What is good to dose for Cal and Mag? The Ion supplement is kind of expensive for the amount you get.

lmforbis

I buy the BRS two part. They sell it in premeasured packets so it is easy to make. They have calculators on their web site to make it easy to figure out how much to add.

chrisely24

Sorry it took so long to reply Bang. I did a 20 g change tues night and now my levels are.

DKH 8-9 (API)
Phos-0 (API)
Cal 382 (Hannah)
Mg 1320 (Red Sea pro)

Salinity is at 32-33

I am not sure what is going on. The Scolly is the only thing that is looking bad. RBTA is good and a Derasa clam is doing well also.

Imforbis, I ordered the 2 part kit from BRS the one with the jugs and all that stuff.

lmforbis

That's the one I started with. Bought it in April and lust last week opened the second box they have a video on how to make it and how to use it

bang guy

Without knowing your Alkalinity values before the water change I can't know for sure if that was the problem. I'm going to guess it is. If so this will also affect the Clam but clams usually look great until they are almost gone. Are there fresh growth rings on the clam?

The supplement is a good idea as it will allow you to maintain a more steady Alkalinity level. Meanwhile, add a couple teaspoons of baking soda to each gallon of you topoff water until you start using the supplement.

Last edited:

chrisely24

Without knowing your Alkalinity values before the water change I can't know for sure if that was the problem. I'm going to guess it is. If so this will also affect the Clam but clams usually look great until they are almost gone. Are there fresh growth rings on the clam?

The supplement is a good idea as it will allow you to maintain a more steady Alkalinity level. Meanwhile, add a couple teaspoons of baking soda to each gallon of you topoff water until you start using the supplement.
Ok, thanks. Clam has only been in the tank for 2 weeks so, Not really an indicator of water quality I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: