What is required to keep a Alveopora Coral alive?

rykna

A lot of patience. I had 2 goniporas that grew 1.5 inches in 8 months before I had to take down my reef tank. DTS micro protein food is the key. Feed every other day. The other important thing, IMHO, is the motion of the ocean. Get yourself a Wave2K and your reef talk will think it's be returned to the ocean! Feel free to email if you'd like more info!
rykna.olson@gmail.com

Alveos a slightly easier coral than Gonis.Feed it 2-3 week with any zooplankton.I feed mine cyclops and oyster egg,they may benefit from an occasional dosing of phyto also.Moderate to high lighting,good water quality,proper calcium and magnesium levels,gentle flow,occasional feeding and they should do well.
BTW,they are slow eaters so depending on the flow you may have to turn the pumps off...good luck with it.

shrimpi

ok, just found some ALVEOPORA on the big bid site and I know this is an old thread but ..
What is the difference between alveopora and goniopora? The both have a common name of flower pot coral when I look them up but I know they are different.
Here is the alveopora I saw today. FYI zoafrags is a screen name not a store name pls dont delete this moderators!

C

cmaxwell39

My understanding is that Alveaporas have 12 tentacles per polyp whil Giniporas have 24.

Alveopora has 12 tentacles and Gonioporas have 24 tentacles.They come either branching,encrusting or hemispherical skeleton structure.
Alveo being the slightly easier of the two.

stanlalee

For the most part long term success is usually only accomplished with tanks that utilize large fuges and deep sand beds that keep them supplied with constant larval feeding from micro critters. There are too many types to definately answer what type of flow and light they require. Some are able to take larger sized foods than others while some wont take any target feeding at all. DT's oyster eggs are suppose to be the most promising source of nutrition thus far available. Anything less than a year can not be considered success.

shrimpi

thanks for clearing this up for me and all your input guys.
Ive read that the sucess of goniopora not being so good in the home aquarium. Sounds like alveopora is pretty close to goniopora in charecteristic and requirements.
Ill be waiting a while before I pick one up.

bonebrake

In addition to what Stanlalee said, I have also read a much larger success rate in mature skimmerless tanks. Skimmers pull out what little phytoplankton and zooplankton that is produced in our tanks in addition to unwanted dissolved organics.

codyjp

i just bought one of these guys so i hope i can make it work. I did get some of the plankton food as well.
one thing to note is that the coral opened up about 25% bigger when i put it in my tank VS the LFS. I was a bit surprised when it got so big in my tank. hopefully I can keep it happy!

puffer32

Mine lasted 6 months. Hubby brought it home not knowing its survival rate. It had 4 heads, 1 was already dead, so i knew we were going to have trouble with it. We feed our corals daily and i believe our tank meets most all the known requirements for survival/ But the heads died one at a time anyway. Very nice coral, but IMO, should stay in the ocean.