What is the job you hate to most ?

mandy111

Hi

Just wondering what job you have on your tank that you hate the most, the one you always put off cause it either too hard, too dirty or just time consuming.
I was cleaning my glass again today and thought wow I would be rich if I could invent something that did this for me, without scratching the glass. I absolutely consider this the worst job ever !!!!!

If you have a job you hate, but is now easier, share how you changed that job to make it better.
I used to also hate changing reactor media, removing hoses, pumps reactors etc, But now I have a snap on hose connector so I can remove just the reactor and not everything else along with it, makes media change quick & simple.

seecrabrun

Robosnail... Google it LOL

The job I hate the most is probably water changes as I get water everywhere and I hate being wet. It'll probably be fine when I take the time to have a decent setup and system.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
When I used canister filters for FO I absolutely hated cleaning those things out. I could always count on leak problems following. I will never used those again.

snakeblitz33

Water changes always sucked for me. I lift a lot of stuff at work all day- so having to lift 5g utility containers for water changes was a chore.

So I put an RO line on a float valve and put it on a 20g tank. It auto fills and then I mix salt. I use a python hose to the sink to siphon 20g of water out and use the pump to pump new saltwater into the sump.

Now that I have an Apex, it's time to figure out how to do it automatically. ;)

mandy111

Water changes always sucked for me. I lift a lot of stuff at work all day- so having to lift 5g utility containers for water changes was a chore.

So I put an RO line on a float valve and put it on a 20g tank. It auto fills and then I mix salt. I use a python hose to the sink to siphon 20g of water out and use the pump to pump new saltwater into the sump.

Now that I have an Apex, it's time to figure out how to do it automatically. ;)
love it...
we do siphon changes, open tap on return pipe and it siphons out to an exact level each time, we run off and have a coffee while do it,and old water straight down drain. then when stops siphon we just click our hose connector from IBC storage and pump straight back into tank,
We don't even heat the stuff, 250lts in a 1500 system only affects the heat by about .5 degrees, in summer is actually takes the temp up slightly. We use pure ocean water, so no mixing testing etc. Only thing we do test for is phos and nitrates because sometimes the place collect from a different spot in the ocean and this can vary slightly. But never had BAD reading yet, it is also so much cheaper this way, bucket of red sea coral pro is $159 does 3 changes so thats about $50 a change plus rodi waste, our water is very expensive, driest state in the driest continent in the world, believe me we pay for that.
The NSW delivered is only $100 for 1000lt , salinity is always 1.030 so by the time you add 250lt of rodi it gets you roughly 1250lt which is about 5 changes saves us a fortune.

Saltyskimmer

I admit water changes for me are a chore. However every time I do it I just say "that wasn't so bad". I just did one, scrub the glass and cleaned my protien skimmer in 45 minutes. It is one of those jobs that isn't that bad once you do it, it is the thought of doing it that is the real chore.

Saltyskimmer

Hi

Just wondering what job you have on your tank that you hate the most, the one you always put off cause it either too hard, too dirty or just time consuming.
I was cleaning my glass again today and thought wow I would be rich if I could invent something that did this for me, without scratching the glass. I absolutely consider this the worst job ever !!!!!

As I think of this, I really hate testing my water. "What color is that? is it light blue or med blue? Is it brown or dark red." A real pain in the tookus!