What makes Frogspawn an "expert" level coral?

wartooth1

I just got into keeping corals a few weeks ago and the LFS recommended the Frogspawn as one of my starter corals. I got one (among a few other corals) and all the corals are doing great. The Frogspawn is particularly beautiful and fully opens when the lights are on and behaves exactly like I would expect a healthy coral to behave. I'm not doing anything special except what is normally expected when caring for corals... So I was quite shocked when I started browsing sites and find that pretty much all online stores warn that Frogspawn should only be kept by expert aquarists.
So far caring for my Frogspawn has been very easy... which is why I'm confused as to why its considered an expert coral. The only thing I can think of is its tendancy to sting other corals... by mine isn't near any other corals so that shouldn't be an issue in my tank. If its not the stinging, then what is it?

mproctor4

Good question. IDK either. We have placed in both of our tanks and it grows like a weed with no special care

aquaknight

It's not. Just because an online site states something about livestock, doesn't make it so, or absolute fact. The couple sites you found that all say expert-care, is probably because they all used the same source material. Some old reef handbook or something... Most of these websites aren't built by people into the hobby, rather some IT guy auto-filling information.
In lieu of that, the two other sites I've ordered from besides SWF, the biggest one of them all, and probably the second biggest, list frogspawn as easy-to-moderate, and beginner, respectively.

1guydude

+1 I agree with AK!!!! This info is compiled from someone not in the hobby...only knowing wat they have read!

kiefers

I have read something similar and disagree. Keep in mind to watch your Calcium and Magnesium tho. nothing big to do really, love this coral.