what size koralia powerheads to use in a 90 gallon????

drex

anyone have any recommendations? it is drilled and getting quite a bit of flow from the return pump..its about maxed for what the tank can handle in the overflow. i want to get rid of my rios i have i either have small ones and then to big of ones...so i want to put these pumps "one" on each side of my tank. what size do i get? i have real fine live sand so i dont want this flying all over,but i do have alot of lps and starting quite a bit of SPS goign in there now so i need quite a bit of flow. do i go with 400 or 600 gph ??? remember its x2. thanks

stanlalee

K1 and K2 will be WAY to weak for SPS in a 90g. You will need 3 or 4's. the way they disperse two on each end wont blow sand around if you aim they well. 400gph of dispersed propeller flow "feels" like about 100gph of direct flow. the K1 would be good for my 6 gallon.

drex

ive never had the chance to see them,was just going to order them i will buy whichever as their is not a big price difference just want to know what the best decision is if im going to put 2 in..probably the 4's? like 800 gph i believe they are?

stanlalee

Originally Posted by drex
http:///forum/post/2696005
ive never had the chance to see them,was just going to order them i will buy whichever as their is not a big price difference just want to know what the best decision is if im going to put 2 in..probably the 4's? like 800 gph i believe they are?
the K4's are like 1200gph each. you probably dont have to have that much flow (but it wouldn't hurt, I have a 1400gph maxijet mod and K1 in a 30g and its fine) and the 4s are bigger than the 2 and 3. they look huge to me like a jet engine in your aquarium. two K1's are just too weak for a 90g of any kind, two of those in a 12g cube wouldn't be too much.
those high GPH ratings dont coincide with what a regular powerhead with those ratings would feel like. you can cut the ratings in half for what they really "feel" like. A K1 feels about as powerful as a 200gph conventional powerhead (less than that to me). My conventional ViaAqua 600gph powerhead turns my 30g tank into a whirlpool but the 1400gph maxi modded is strong but very manageable ( I tried the 2100gph propeller first lol, that was too much).

drex

alright i would say that should be enough because im getting alot of flow from my return pump also that would put me at quite a bit i will get em ordered! thanks!