What to feed an elegance coral???

gemmy

I just got a HUGE elegance coral and I'm curious as to what to feed it. I'm thinking of small pieces of scallops.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/389735/what-to-feed-an-elegance-coral#post_3446304
I just got a HUGE elegance coral and I'm curious as to what to feed it. I'm thinking of small pieces of scallops.
I found this info, and thought it would help:
Care:
Hardiness:
Elegance coral is usually considered to be very hardy. There have been reports over the last 2 years or so that success with this coral is becoming less common and the reason why is not yet understood. Elegance will occasionally withdraw their tentacles and inflate their bodies into a contorted shape. This may be in an effort to expel waste products and should not be a cause for concern. If they remain like this for more than a couple of days, it may be a sign that they are not happy for some reason and you should investigate water conditions and verify that nothing is attacking the coral.
Lighting
: Requires moderate to strong lighting.
Water Current
: Elegance corals prefer low to moderate water flow. Optimum water flow is enough to lightly wave its tentacles. They will tolerate stronger water flows, but will expand less and the tentacles will become stubbier as shown in the picture to the right.
Temperature
: Does well within a range of at least 75º to 84º F
Aggressiveness
: High. The Elegance coral packs a fairly powerful sting and can expand greatly, so it is best to give it plenty of room to expand without coming into contact with other corals.
Feeding
: Elegance coral is photosynthetic and requires no direct feeding, but an occasional feeding of shrimp or other meaty food up to once a week is appreciated.
Supplements
: Maintaining correct calcium levels is important for skeletal development
Tank Positioning
: Best positioning is normally in the bottom of the tank with the cone base embedded in the substrate as it is found in the wild. If tank lighting is low, it is acceptable to mount the coral up on the live rock closer to the lighting

btldreef

Nice coral Krista.
I'd look into FloridaJoe's thread about his Elegance and see what he's been doing to have luck with it.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/389735/what-to-feed-an-elegance-coral#post_3446474
Nice coral Krista.
I'd look into FloridaJoe's thread about his Elegance and see what he's been doing to have luck with it.
Thanks! I posted in his thread and haven't seen a response. I'm hoping that since this coral has been thriving in captivity for 6 years that I will have good luck with it. I didn't realize how big this coral was and it just seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/389735/what-to-feed-an-elegance-coral#post_3446479
Thanks! I posted in his thread and haven't seen a response. I'm hoping that since this coral has been thriving in captivity for 6 years that I will have good luck with it. I didn't realize how big this coral was and it just seems to be getting bigger and bigger.
It's huge alright, and beautiful.... I love it! It looks like it's under too much flow, maybe aim the power head away from it a bit so it can open up..

florida joe

Sorry Gemmy I have not checked that thread in a while. I actually do not have my elegance anymore. I noticed my jewel damsel picking at it (I will start a thread on jewels and corals soon) and I did not want to lose it so I sold it. What I was doing was feeding frozen brine shrimp with a sea squirt (you can use an eye dropper) once a week. Just make sure you turn off all flow and feed when you are also feeding the rest of the tank to keep the fish from doing any harm to your coral in their attempt to get the shrimp.