j. crow

Clownfish?
Cardinals?
Jawfish?
Royal Gramma?
Cleaner or Coral Banded Shrimp?
..I'm thinking about getting some for my tank

j. crow

Yes, I figured they wouldn't exactly kill off their population like a mandarin goby but that they would eat them so they're not overly populated (although I do know their populations spike and drop normally)
..I don't know much about them at all really,

rlablan

Everyone in my tank eats them. I can see them picking at them. I have clowns, anthias, hippos tang, mandarin goby, royal gramma... They all eat them and the population has been steady. I do have a fuge though.
It can't hurt to get some. Tigger pods, copepods, whatever... It's all very good stuff and once introduced (do it with the lights off while the fish are sleeping, otherwise they get eaten REALLY quick), they will take off and be in the tank forever. (as long as there is no copper)

j. crow

Thanks..
Would I need alot of rocks to keep their numbers up in my tank with 2 clowns, a cardinal, a jawfish, and a royal gramma? (45 gallons, no fuge or anything hooked up just a display tank)

fretfreak13

I think the norm is to have 1.5 lbs of rock to a gallon. I have forty five lbs in my 29, but it still looks bare.
Also, try a scooter blenny. They mainly stay on the sandbed, unlink the mandarins that cruise around on the rocks. They eat pods, but are much easier to train onto frozen, unlike the mandarins.

j. crow

Here's some pics I had to take with my phone so they didn't come out good at all, but judging by this.. would copepods be able to breed and keep a population up without me having to pay shipping to buy more?

It's a long hex tank

small triggers

no sustainably with fish that eat them,,, you do not have enough established rock and a safe place for them to breed... unless you feel the urge to add a fuge and alot more rock just to keep one or 2 fish to eat them, i would not pick a fish thats main diet is pods.

j. crow

Nah, I wasn't looking for a scooter and mand. that feed mostly on them, but was more looking to add them to help the tank, but they wouldn't survive very long with my fish?

btldreef

It honestly depends on the fish. Most of my fish will eat the copepods that I add to open water in my tank but will not pick at the live rock to find their own. I also feed a little on the heavy side, but have an excellent CUC and my fish are absolute pigs. My wrasse and my mandarin are the only fish that I've seen openly picking at the live rock and eating copepods.
Peppermint shrimp will also devour a copepod population, just another thought to keep in mind.

btldreef

Originally Posted by J. Crow
http:///forum/post/3176364
Thanks, I feel like I'm asking too many questions but would they be sucked into the filter at all?
You can never ask too many questions in this hobby! More people should do research like you.
Anyways, the shouldn't get sucked up. I have a clown goby that rides through the filter a lot, but the rest don't get sucked up at all.

rlablan

They will get sucked up but will be unharmed. many will breed and live in your filter media. That is why you never change all you filter media at once. You will lose a significant chunk of your population.

btldreef

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3176726
You can never ask too many questions in this hobby! More people should do research like you.
Anyways, the shouldn't get sucked up. I have a clown goby that rides through the filter a lot, but the rest don't get sucked up at all.
<-- I was talking about fish, sorry talking to too many people online and lost track of this thread.
Originally Posted by rlablan

http:///forum/post/3176733
They will get sucked up but will be unharmed. many will breed and live in your filter media. That is why you never change all you filter media at once. You will lose a significant chunk of your population.
Very true. My copepods breed in my overflow box, lol