What's going on? Keyhole angel.

MitsuTaisho

My keyhole angel has been slowly turning white in the face. (Over a few months) It sometimes acts a bit more shy than normal but otherwise no activity to suggest illness.
Any ideas?

Attachments

MitsuTaisho

He has Head and Lateral Line Erosion(HLLE).

Take a look at this info to get an info on addressing it.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/c/index.php/articles/content/head-and-lateral-line-erosion.105
Thanks!
I've drastically reduced the carbon.
I feed Ocean Nutrition Prime reef flakes and provide seaweed for them. Do these seem to be enough or should I look into another food?
I'm also fighting a cyanobacteria bloom and I believe that's not helping the little fella.
Any ideas?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Water quality and food is certainly present and can certainly account for HLLE. Why do you have ammonia? Is this a new tank?

MitsuTaisho

Not it's not new, I've always struggled with ammonia in this tank for some reason but its always a low level.
Its a 125 with a HOT magnum, a Magnum360, a powerhead, and a protein skimmer? (i bought it 2nd hand and it's not a typical one.
I changed the sand a couple years ago to something that doesn't trap nastiness like the old stuff did. (Crushed coral to aragonite.) And that helped a lot. I used to have massive ammonia all the time.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have live rock? If not, add at least a few pieces. Make certain that you good water circulation going throughout the system.

MitsuTaisho

Do you have live rock? If not, add at least a few pieces. Make certain that you good water circulation going throughout the system.
Yep I've got a bunch of live rock. And I should be okay on circulation but i do have 2 extra powerheads that i can use if needed.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the pump setups you cite tend to expel water in the upper portions of the tank. You need get water movement gently at every corner, every level. If you can place the additional PHs, I'd do it.

MitsuTaisho

Most of the pump setups you cite tend to expel water in the upper portions of the tank. You need get water movement gently at every corner, every level. If you can place the additional PHs, I'd do it.
The two powerheads are now on opposite corners of the bottom of the tank.
Just waiting on the zeocon to get here.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You need to keep checking your ammonia. That has to get down to zero. Why do you have ammonia and zero nitrites and nitrates? Was there a death?

lmforbis

Have you been using prime? Prime will give a false positive ammonia reading unless you use the SeaChem test.