Whats the difference between a zoo, zoa and a paly? (pics would be awesome)

kilofey

I know I have some palys cause thats what I bought them as, and as far as I can tell theyre a more solid color, and theyre bigger with longer "eye lashes", but whats the difference between zoos and zoas. And do zoos and zoas have palytoxin too? Im always fiddleing with my tank, should I really worry about that stuff? It seems pretty toxic, but its toxicity doesnt really seem to be stressed too much.

bang guy

Zoa = Common nickname for Zoanthus.
Zoo = Misspelling of the common nickname for Zoanthus.
Paly = Common nickname for Protopalythoa, a Zoanthid closely related to Zoanthus. Often called Button Polyps.
Palythoa = Uncommon in the hobby but not rare. Distinguished from Protopalythoa by the absence of a stem and much more mat forming.
Palytoxin = Found rarely in South Pacific Palythoa. Believed to be formed from a specific Dinoflagellate not yet found to exist in the hobby.
Zoanthid toxicity = All are toxic to some degree. Many are very toxic but it's from toxins other than Palytoxin.
YES! You should worry about toxins from corals, especially Zoanthids. They can make you very sick. Wear gloves and consider anything the slime touches as hazardous.

kilofey

Hmmmm interesting, guess ive got some palys and palythoas :) I just picked up the palythoas yesterday (thats what got me thinking about the question)
Ill take the toxin more seriously, the lfs guy I talked to basically said, well, ive been touching them for 20 years now and im still standing. It just makes my fingers numb once in a while lol

bang guy

Zoanthid is and entire Order of coral. It includes everything discussed above along with another couple dozen Families.
Zoanthus are the smaller more colorful (generally) Sea Mats.