Whats the tricks for catching 3 damsels?

eugenez_21

I ordered 3 blue- green chromis over the phone at my lfs and let my dad pick em up and accumilate them to the tank. When i got home they turned out to be 3 blue devil damsels now im trying to get them out. Is it possible to do it with out disterbing my LR.

jtrzerocool

i know that there are a few tricks to catch them but none worked for me. i ended up taking my LR out and i still have one in my tank!

eugenez_21

i have to do it by tommorow morning so i cant really wait to by a trap looks like im going to have to reland scape my tank
any tricks?

tome

Originally Posted by eugenez_21
i have to do it by tommorow morning so i cant really wait to by a trap looks like im going to have to reland scape my tank
any tricks?
Try feeding the fish and then when they are eating, try to scoop them out. But keep the net out of the tank until you want to get them.

reefer545

just take the LR out. there is no easy way, and believe it or not, they are smart little buggers. they recognize the net, and you will NEVER get them out easily. Sorry.

lovecraft

Originally Posted by eugenez_21
any tricks?
Fish trap will work, I caught my Coral Beauty in about 2.5 hrs this way.
Don't feed the fish. Get 2 liter bottle, cut the top off and invert it inside the bottle. Put holes in bottle for water flow and to let the smell of food get out. Get a string (with a hook, whatever) attached to the bottle. Put food in bottle. Place in tank using string to keep bottle at top to avoid snagging any inverts. Hold string, when the critters you want come in, lift up bottle and place critter in bag.
Took me over 2 hrs with the CB, but during that time I also caught my 6 line and both clowns, 1 of them twice. I just attached the string holding the bottle with a clip to top of the tank and just waited. If the fish are hungry, you WILL catch them. That CB was smart and cautious, but I still got him.

You really need is a mini

[hr]
gun with a nice scope and good eye and a trigger happy killing damsel trigger finger
i'm a lucky 4 years go I got mine with a net after 20 minutes .
use a large glass jar or a 2ltr pop clear bottle will work
keep the neck on and cut a whole the size you need and just put it in your tank with some food in it and sit back and wait you will have to put some weight if you use the pop bottle
they cant see and just put it in the tank with a tiny bit of food as bait may take a while to catch them all but it works

eggs

Try catching them after the tank lights go out - you might catch the fish off guard and confused.

saltfish123

try leaving the net in the tank for a while so the fish get used to it and then feed the fish and try to slowly move the net w/o startiling the fish.

reefer545

Originally Posted by saltfish123
try leaving the net in the tank for a while so the fish get used to it and then feed the fish and try to slowly move the net w/o startiling the fish.
I have never had good luck with this. I have even tried to put food in the net, to coax them into, nothing evr happens but strategic hiding until the net is gone.

sepulatian

You can move some of the rock over to one side. Fashion a divider out of some eggcrate. Add food to the side without rock. As the fish swim over to eat drop the divider and catch them.

renogaw

small flying fish hook, remove the barb. very very thin filament connecting to it, and put something tasty on it :)