What's Wrong With My Fish??

padigirl123

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if they have seen this on their green chromis before? He started to develop white lines on his body. Now, they look like this. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

lmforbis

This disease is the reason I will never buy chromis. It is a parachute that can’t be gotten rid of because it doesn’t need a host to survive.

padigirl123

I was afraid this was what it was. I was reading it is hard to treat and once in the tank is there indefinitely. Is that true?

lmforbis

You will need to sterilize everything then restart with the cycle. I’d also suggest a quarantine system to prevent diseases from getting into your tank in the future.

padigirl123

thanks for the tips! we have quarantine system in place. I bought blue and green chromis from the same place at same time all first fish in tank. Blue chromies are looking great.

lmforbis

Keep in mind your tank is infected and that won't change if you don't deal with the problem. Any new fish you add are at risk. It is very likely you will lose more fish to this in the future. It also seems a bit unethical to put new fish into a tank that you know is infected with a disease and a painful death is not an unlikely scenario.

padigirl123

yes got it and once again thanks. I might not have worded my last email correctly. All fish (including the ones that we lost to this disease) were purchased at the same time. The blues appear to be fine for now and will be treated with medication. No one is being unethical here by purchasing new fish in an infected tank. We have a new quarantine tank going forward and have already started to cycle a new disease free tank. Regards!