When to add an Auriga Butterfly...?

jussery17

So I currently have, in my 75 gallon long tank, 3 snails, 4 hermits, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 small tiger striped serpent star, 2 small clownish, 1 yellow clown goby, 1 beautiful Midas Blenny, 1 six line wrasse, and a yellow watchman and pistol shrimp pair. Everything in this tank so far that I've added has gotten along and all really have become quite good friends lol if you will.... my water parameters always stay very very very good with ph at 8.0 the ammonia and nitrite at 0 and nitrate usually below 20 depending on water changes and the temp always stays at 76.6...........I really want to add an auriga butterfly bc from the very beginning I was just awed by that fish and really would love to have one.... however, I've read different things on what size to buy and to put it in very last but wanted to get just a couple more fish as well and not sure which ones I should get....I would like to have personality but also very intriguing colors and peaceful or will get along with what is in my tank....I just would like to get everyone opinion/suggestions on colorful, cool fish and info about the Auriga Butterfly......also, I have about 65 pounds of live rock with coraline growing and 2 small purple neon green spotted mushrooms that will be transferred to a tall 65 gallon I'm setting up just for reefs..... thank you in advance and attached is a pic of my tank....
WIN_20170902_134555.JPG

lmforbis

First off your tank is too small. Minimum for an Auriga butterfly is 125.
In addition butterflies are shy and can be difficult to get eating. They don't compete well for food. They are best added first and allowed to get well established and eating well before you add any more fish.
Your six line may be a problem for future additions. They tend to be real jerks.

jussery17

I was told to add it last by another admin...... also was told 75 gal would be ok for just one auriga by the same admin... that's the whole reason I haven't got it yet.... well crap... why does almost every website I go to looking at aurigas the minimum tank size is 75?

jussery17

And the six line was in a tank at my lfs with a couple butterflys and had been watching it for weeks and didn't bother anything.... when I finally added it, my Blenny would chase it off very little if it was trying to take his home\perch spot lol

lmforbis

I go by the live aquaria tank sizes. They are the best I've seen. You could get lucky with a butterfly but I'm doubtful.
Normal order of addition is least aggressive (shiest) to most aggressive. Butterflies fall into the shy category.
Once established six lines are very territorial.

jussery17

Well I would of def added the auriga first but all the fish I have are very very peaceful towards everything in the tank.... when it comes to the six line I wouldn't think twice about bagging him up and taking him back to my lfs for store credit if he is going to be any kind of a jerk lol........ all the fish I have now, the little clowns stay in the left back corner to theirselves and the other two just perch all day... the Blenny loves to swim in the back in the current and the clown goby just perch's unless its time to feed and than he's right at the surface...... and every time I look at the tank unless the Blenny is swimming there is plenty of open water that is there for a fish to swim in.....I just can't see a problem with one being in there..... but will take your advice and research a bit more....I really really really want an auriga...ughhhhhhhhhh lol

lmforbis

Pearlscale
Spotband
Sunset
Tatian
These are all have a 70 gal min tank size. I don't know how hardy they are. Personally I don't consider any butterfly to be easy. They don't compete well with active fish for food.

jussery17

Hey quick question, hopefully someone will see this and answer, when I was cycling I had put some substrate from a very established tank into some panty house and put in my filter and now my tank has been up and going for about 4 months now....I was going to use the two pantyhose when I cycle a tall 65 tank to for reefs or for a seahorse tank....I bought a little bag of purigen today and wanted the pantyhose out of the way, should I take them out and let them just sit in some tank water or how or what should I put this little bag of purigen in?

jussery17

So I got a small auriga, as I want him to grow with all the other fish as I got them small as well. And I watched him eat frozen food before I bought him. Anyways, as soon as he was ready I put him in my tank and he is doing phenomenal! He has been eating very well and is roaming around all day picking at rock and as happy as can be! Such a beautiful fish and happy fish!
WIN_20170915_205157.JPG

WIN_20170915_204701.JPG

jussery17

Also, if anyone is watching this forum thread, I'm thinking of getting a 150gallon tank and was curious if anyone has a good link to point me on the specifics on how to make the switch correctly? Or if someone can tell me how to do this step by step? Lol