where does the sand go?

damsel

okay, im still new and still cycling in a 65g. with live rock and damsels(2). i have the bottom covered with some type of crushed coral or something, think it's called agragonite (sp?). someone just suggested i add small grain sand to keep the detritus on top. do i just wash this sand and place it right on top of the substrate i have now? in case it matters, my long term goal is to go reef but in the meantime i am just going to keep adding live rock, and maybe a reef friendly fish or critter, as i can afford it. will go reef only after i have had more experience and can improve my lighting. thanks in advance, i just love how helpful you all have been.

the rock

the rock says...
sugar sized sand placed on top will only get messy as any movement along the bottom will just plain make a mess, mixing sugar sized sand with the larger granuled aragonite is IMHO the best way to go, you should always have different sized granules in your substrate for aestetic reasons as well as the creatures that will live in your sand will appreciate as well and help to promote your sand bed, it is conducive to have this setup for a reef tank.

aaron

If you are using good live rock you will not want to disturb the substrate much if at all because there will be so much life introduced from your rock that they will keep it clean. You may want to add hermit crabs or a fish that will keep the top free of detritus. A good hardy fish for that is the goldenhead sleeper goby. Good luck on your reef tank if that is the way you decide to go they are truly beautiful.