Which lights are better?

C

cmaxwell39

Just make sure that the T5's are T5HO and not just normal output T5's.

rotarygeek

I have a 24" glo t5ho on the right side of my 55 and a 20" pc 50/50 daylight actinic on the left side of it. The only reason i like the pc light is becuase it has an led moonlight and it has a screen to cover the bulb. My t5 outperforms it all day long. part of my tank is a bright white/yellowish and the other half is blueish. I would go with t5's again if i had the money. I just wish they were more affordable for the budget minded people.

T

tizzo

I have seen some beautiful reefs sustained by T5's, mostly Europe, some here... Other than nano's, I have never seen a reef tank that was successful under PC's...
So, if your question was in relation to keeping corals, then I'd also go with the T5's.

don1234

Hmmm.....never heard of T5 .....being relatively new to the hobby. I aquired a type of lighting from someone who was going to college and decided to give away his set up. I got most of the hardware. How would I tell if the lights are t5? They have two rows of white florescent looking type bulbs and two rows of blue type looking bulbs and then there is a third set of maybe night time spot lights. The ligt would sit atop of the aquarium.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by don1234
http:///forum/post/2728601
Hmmm.....never heard of T5 .....being relatively new to the hobby. I aquired a type of lighting from someone who was going to college and decided to give away his set up. I got most of the hardware. How would I tell if the lights are t5? They have two rows of white florescent looking type bulbs and two rows of blue type looking bulbs and then there is a third set of maybe night time spot lights. The ligt would sit atop of the aquarium.

That can be regular flourescent bulbs... It should say on the bulb what they are. T5's are really skinny looking. Skinnier than the overhead flourescents you sometimes see...

don1234

The bulbs are really skinny...can't get a good picture of them. One set says 65 watt true actinic by Odyssea..the other says 65 watt 120000k daylight by Odyssea..any clue I'm trying to do a search.
Only one end has a connection. One set of whites on each end a total of what looks like four bulbs.
The blue one set on each end a total of what looks like four bulbs. Connection is the same as the white.
Looks very similar to the picture I found

don1234

okay...looks like t5 lights rate pretty high considering this thread....any purchasing reccomendations.
I have fish and soft corals would like to add a few hard corals
Also are T5 bulbs interchangeable with the pc balast. Same type plugin?

steve24

Originally Posted by don1234
http:///forum/post/2728740
okay...looks like t5 lights rate pretty high considering this thread....any purchasing reccomendations.
I have fish and soft corals would like to add a few hard corals
Also are T5 bulbs interchangeable with the pc balast. Same type plugin?
Aquatinics are kinda pricey but great light fixure...
for fish and soft corals PC are fine and for some LPS... IMO
nope won`t work, and T5 bulbs plug in from both ends ...

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2728456
I have seen some beautiful reefs sustained by T5's, mostly Europe, some here... Other than nano's, I have never seen a reef tank that was successful under PC's...

So, if your question was in relation to keeping corals, then I'd also go with the T5's.

If you wouldn't mind, could you please elaborate on reef tanks not being successful under PC? Are you talking about long term success for larger tanks? Nanos are typically 20 gallons or less right?

ci11337

individually reflected T5's are the best way to light a 4 ft or smaller tank. 6 footers requrie MHs.

robdog696

Originally Posted by JerryAtrick
http:///forum/post/2728765
If you wouldn't mind, could you please elaborate on reef tanks not being successful under PC? Are you talking about long term success for larger tanks? Nanos are typically 20 gallons or less right?
Most soft corals can be kept under PC lights. But even most nano reefers upgrade their lights to a single metal halide. If you wish to keep LPS, SPS, or anemones then T5s or MH is a must. With how far technology has come over the last few years, the best T5 HO lights are on par with MH. Using thinner bulbs and individual reflectors, T5 HOs are now putting out more lumens, less heat, and using less energy than MHs. However, MHs penetrate deeper and have a wider spread than T5s. T5 fixtures AND replacement bulbs tend to be cheaper. PC fixtures are cheap when you buy them, but get ready for a shock when you need to replace the bulbs!