White Growth on Sea Urchin

ncsc117

Hi, I have a Pencil Sea Urchin that has a white growth on two of its spines. It had this for a month now, it's still moving around:joy: . What do you think, Sick, Having BABIES! Thanks for the info

ophiura

Assuming this is a pencil urchin, they are one of the few species of urchin that have stuff grow on their spines. Unlike other urchins, the spines of pencil urchins do not have living tissue covering them. Hence, many things may settle and grow on them. It is possible that there was coralline algae, for example, that has bleached to white. Without a picture it is difficult to tell. If the white patches are not on the body of the animal, then it is probably not a disease, but it is definitely not related to spawning. A picture would help.
FYI if it is in a reef tank: This is considered to be one of the few "non reef safe" urchins, and will consume just about anything in its path, such as algae or polyps.

T

tizzo

There are not to many, but Ophiura, everytime you post, I learn somethin' new!!:)

ophiura

Thanks, Tizzo

Here are some examples of growths on some relatives of the reef cidaroid urchin (the slate pencil). See "The Unfortunate." Most are deeper water species but you can see that they end up with sponges, brittlestars, and all sorts of things colonizing them. Probably a pretty good camouflage.
http://www.nmnh.si.edu/iz/echinoderm/2000/
(Add: Gosh darnit. Go to "Ailsa's Section" on the menu, the "tales from the collection" then "the unfortunate"....though, if I may add, there is much entertainment to be found in that edition of the echinoderm newsletter)

NRusso

IMG_2347-2.jpg

My Urchin has something growing on it too.. Could it be a parasite? it's like a white ball with a hole, and it keeps growing, my tank is very new (like 5 months old. I'm not sure If I can just remove it?

Attachments