why do my fish keep dying?

valles

Hey guys I just started a 90 gallon tank about a month ago I couldn't wait to cycle the tank so I added bacteria a few days later I tested the water and all the levels were good so I bought 2 clowns and a yellow tang but the tang killed both the clowns. So I got rid of the tang and bought a coral beauty and 2 clowns they were good eating and pretty active till a week later I added a yellow tail fang blenny. I woke up one morning and they clown and beauty were acting weird, I went to run some earrns when I got home the clowns and beauty were dead. Turns out the ph was at 7.0 so maybe that killed them off but now almost a week later my blenny is starting to act weird I haven't seen him for a few days till today he was up against a corner. I reached in the tank to touch him got pretty close and out of nowhere he shot up and bolted to the other corner. I grabbed the net to catch him and he wasn't moving for a bit. Any idea what might be going on?? Please help me ice invested so much time and money to give up.

one-fish

Marine tanks require more than two days to fully cycle. PH lower than 7.8 is undesirable for livestock A PH of 7.0 could be an indication of tank still cycling or an excessive amount of Carbon dioxide or low alkalinity Normal PH reading slightly swing between day and night. Retest all water params so you have a data base line and do a WC.. % of WC dependent on test results...just my .02

lmforbis

And let the tank cycle. It usually takes a minimum of 4 weeks, potentially longer. You need to provide an ammonia source to feed the bacteria, it can be a raw shrimp or ghost feeding.

valles

The pet store I've been going to told me the tank was ready to add fish so I did. The yellow tang I had was doing great for a week till I got rid of him. Also just last night I noticed that my yellow fang blenny is losing color i read that it can be because he is stressing out, any ideas of what I can do to fix the issue?

valles

If I get the time I will go get my water tested. I'll post the results and pictures of my set up maybe you guys can spot something I don't.

beaslbob

my guess is that given a very low pH and fish deaths, the tank is suffering ammonia spikes and high carbon dioxide (which suffocate the fish) and has not built up the bacteria.

I would add macro algae like cheatomorphia, usually in a refugium like a partition to keep the fish and macro separated.

then wait a week.

then add a single male molly.

Wait a week with no food being added.

After that start feeding a single flake per day.

Once you get the molly to live for 3 weeks then slowly add the more expensive marine only fish.

and test ammonia as well.

still that's just me and my .02

jay0705

Fish stores are there to sell fish. Unfortunately some don't care if your tank is ready or not. The tank is not btw

valles

I set everything up about 4 weeks ago. How much longer should I wait? Would the tank still not be ready even tho everything checks out with a water test?

valles

Even tho the fish died right in front of me and I pull them out that moment would it cause an amonia spike?

valles

Type of filtration ? Power heads? Does it have a tight fitting lid?
All I have are 2 filter socks and a protein skimmer also this green soft rectangular pad I don't remember the name of. I have one power head pointed towards the top so it can agitate the water and no no lid for the tank.

one-fish

You mentioned above you needed to get your water tested If you don't own a test kit get one an API freshwater one is cheap (one I bought) after cycle you may not use it that much but if you want to test its there.

florida joe

with all due respect IMO you have not invested "so much time in this hobby" please pump the brakes get a good book on the hobby and start over again but with patients this time