Why on water change day do they look best?

adee

Why is it around times I need to do water changes do my corals look healthiest? The mushrooms are at their biggest in diameter, zoos all open and pretty, exc... Are we changing water too frequently? (Approx twice a month) parameters look pretty good (usually just a little nitrate everything else pretty close to zero)

adee

54, mushrooms, zoos, colt coral, xenias, bta, 2 clowns, 1 sixline, 1 pj cardinal and a sand sifting goby

novahobbies

There's two ways you could look at this.
First....and there is some truth to this....you certainly don't want your tank looking BAD at any time of the month. If you wait to do your water changes when the corals look lousy, well, then, you've waited too long! It's a sad truth that problems develop quickly in this hobby, but take a lot longer to correct. So if you're changing water while the corals look "great," then you're doing a good job keeping the parameters on an even keel.
There's another way to look at this. Are you stuck on a rigid schedule for water changes? That's not entirely necessary. I would say that you should be aware of your tank's needs, and schedule water changes according to your (and I'm sorry to steal Mark Callahan's phrase) "tank personality." If your parameters are great, consider smaller water changes that are more in line with basic maintenance (siphoning detritus, etc) only.
Just don't be a moron like I was and forget to change your filter floss for 4+ weeks.
That'll screw you right up every time.

adee

Good to know! Thank you!! How frequently should the filter floss be changed? Ideally?
We're roughly twice a month on water changes, sometimes we stretch it depending if we get to the lfs for water... Glad to know I'm not over changing, they never ((knock wood)) look "bad" we're just due to get water today and everything looks awesome... My biggest mushroom is like 3+" across lol
Do colt corals continue to grow too?? Mine is tall (a foot) and keeps growing lol, it's gonna make me sad when its taller than the height of the tank, then what??

salty3809

novahobbies hit it right on the head, the only thing that i would add is if you water change to much you are also getting rid of some of the good qualities your tank needs to thrive, best bet is to set a water change schedule and stick to it as much as possible so your echo system within the system can over time get used to it.
now for your finger corals ( colt coral ) they normally grow to about 6 inches in height (15cm). Look into fragging tech's, they are very hardy and can withstand u cutting into them, the extra colt coral u cut off can be giving to a friend or if you have a good fish store around they might exchange something or take them off your hands!

novahobbies

Adee, I would definitely change filter floss every 2 weeks like clockwork. If you have a HOB filter where the filter floss is bonded to a carbon unit (Trek Geek moment...who remembers the very exotic character who referred to Kirk & Co. as "Carbon Units??"), then it should be removed and sprayed down/rinsed every week, and a new one added every month.
As for Kenya/Colt corals.....OH MY.......yes they grow, and grow, an grow. Let me refer you to peoples' exhibit A:

That bad boy is a little larger than a bowling ball right now. They're very easy to frag, also. Clean sharp scissors will do the trick. A scalpel will provide a cleaner cut, but it's not 100% necessary.

adee

see, mine is just TALL.. its not quite as bushy (forgive the lack of proper terminology) its beautiful and i love it but it has... uhhhmm branches? ill take a pic.

rlablan

Here is a thought...
Whenever I do water changes I turn the majority of the flow off.
My corals get really big and spread out a ton.
Maybe it could be something as simple as that?
I do agree with what everyone else said here though.

adee

The day of the water change (And the couple days leading up to it) not necessarily during the water change :)