Why should I feed more frequently?

Shilpan

So as ive noticed my yellow headed sleeper goby is a little thin after being away for 6 weeks, I've decided to split my one cube of frozen into two feedings a day. Half a cube at 4pm when I get home and then again at 10pm before lights out.

What are the advantages of feeding like this? Does this help with fattening up metabolically active fish in any way?

jay0705

The more fish eat, the faster they can grow. Its a fine balance tho. If what your feeding is gone quickly then you can definitely feed more. Spreading it out also helps

iidylii

Because eating all your meals at once would suck...that's why we humans eat 2,3,4,5 times a day :p:D

But seriously jay said it right ;)

lmforbis

You might try target feeding the sleeper. A lot of sifters don't get enough to eat. They mostly depend on The fauna in they sand and can deplete it pretty quickly.

one-fish

Agreed ...been researching gobys(hifin red banded goby w/scarlet pistol shrimp) as my next fish, this seems to be common among them especially if kept with fish that are fast eaters. You have had that fish for a while now, have you checked your pod population in DT. I would try target feeding that one fish if all others seem/look fed. Let me know interested like I said my next fish also Thx..

iidylii

and yeah if the goby has a burrow try shooting some food into the burrow...my gobies were pretty shy at first but now they swim all over gobbling up frozen or whatever...good luck

Shilpan

Cheers guys! Actually he's started fattening up on these Seachem korella flakes, im a fan of them. And I've been feeding 2x a day splitting the meals, the fish are far less agressive now they don't fight as much as they used to! Thanks

florida joe

Fish are opportunistic eaters, you want to mimic their natural environment not a onetime grand buffet. but a more natural occasional lucky meal