Why should we be careful when working on our tanks.

spanko

Poor kid.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/flesh-eating-fish-tank-bacteria-lead-teens-amputation/story?id=13837034

S

smartorl

I had a bad experience myself. I'm not sure if it was the same thing, it was never given an official diagnosis because the doctor had no idea what it was except that it was antibiotic resistant.
I had just gotten my forearm tattooed and wasn't thinking when I stuck my arm in the tank to retrieve the other part of my mag float that my nephew had chunked in.
My whole arm was swollen and it was an oozing mess. There was talk of compartment disease and had it progressed they were going to open up my forearm to allow for swelling. Luckily, it didn't progress any further but I have a signifigant amount of scar tissue.
To this day, I am super careful. There were times when I could see me losing the battle with that. I have never been so sick in my life. I have cow gyno gloves that go to the shoulder that I wear if I have even a hang nail.
Poor little girl, I hope they can find answers for her soon!

geridoc

As a biologist I have known for many years about the potential infectiousness of marine tanks, but the problem goes both ways. When you put your hands in the tank whatever is on your hands comes off in the water - soap residue, bacteria, dirt, etc. That's why I always wear high gloves, always!

flower

How horrible, I never heard of it either....I just ordered some long cuff nitrile gloves (powder free).

S

siptang

I read this but figured it was something of freak of nature... and also it was fresh water.

Sip(in denial)tang

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/386228/why-should-we-be-careful-when-working-on-our-tanks#post_3463095
I read this but figured it was something of freak of nature... and also it was fresh water.

Sip(in denial)tang
Sorry to burst the bubble of denial...but it is in saltwater too...
Mycobacterium marinum is an atypical Mycobacterium species found in cold or warm, fresh or salted water.
M marinum infection occurs following skin and soft-tissue injuries that are exposed to an aquatic environment or marine animals. The infection usually presents as a localized granuloma but can evolve into an ascending lymphangitis that resembles sporotrichosis or can spread to deeper tissues. M marinum is a pathogen classified in Runyon group 1 and is a photochromogen, meaning it produces pigment when cultured and exposed to light. Culture growth occurs over 7-14 days and is optimal at 32°C.