Why won't coral grow?! Also, a slight algae issue

ThatGuy21

Hi,
I am a beginner to reef-keeping, and trying to grow some coral. I started my tank about 6 months ago, and it is currently home to one emerald crab, and one turbo snail. They're doing great, but I can't say the same for the coral frag I introduced (it's currently bleached and covered in algae). When I introduced the snail, it also had some (now dead) coralline growing on it's shell. My parameters are: 400 ppm calcium, 214.8 ppm KH (12 dKH), 0 phosphates, 0 nitrates, and 0 nitrites. My PH is 8, my salinity is 1.022, and I keep the tank at around 80 Fahrenheit. I use LED lighting, and do 10% water changes every week using distilled water. From what I have read, these seem like good conditions for coral.

P.S. I also had some weird grey spots show up on my rocks- is there a way to get rid of them (pictures attached)?

Thank You,
ThatGuy21

Attachments

lmforbis

Salinity is too low. Fine for fish not coral. Shoot for 1.026.
What kind of light do you have?

silverado61

What kind of coral frag is it? How powerful are your LED's? They might not be strong enough to support any corals let alone yours. I can't see the top of your tank so it could be it's not getting near enough light. How much water flow (power heads) do you have? It looks like you've got a dust storm going on in there. There are a lot of things that can contribute to a coral bleaching out like yours. How long has it been in the tank?

ThatGuy21

Thank you. I will try to raise my salinity, meanwhile- I attached some pictures of the LED lighting system, and it's meant for a much bigger tank, so I would be surprised if the coral was not receiving enough light. I have one pump (a 100 Hydor Centrifical Pump) that has 100 GPH. I haven't touched the frag after acclimating it (but I could have messed up the acclimation), and it is still in the tank. As for what kind of coral it is, I don't know- I bought it to test my tank before getting a bigger and more expensive frag.

Thank You (and sorry for replying so late),
ThatGuy21

-Pictures include: my pump, my lighting strip, and my tank with the lights on.

Attachments

lmforbis

Can you take the fixture off the tank and take pics of it. What I see doesn't lol strong enough for coral.

lmforbis

That won't grow coral. I have one in my closet. It gets used on my quarantine tank only. You need very good water quality and intense light for coral.

ThatGuy21

Do you have any recommendations for a light? And what parameters does my tank's water need to be at?

Thanks,
ThatGuy21

silverado61

Personally I use powerful LED's. They cost more than T5 or Halides but they don't produce any heat and last up to ten times longer than regular bulbs.