Will this work for soft corals Im trying to learn and just want to start slow

Discussion in 'Tips and Techniques' started by kevin725, Jan 12, 2017.

1. kevin725

kevin725 New Member

Odyssea T5 Quad Timer Aquarium Light Marine
    • Energy efficient T5 fluorescent lamps
    • Supports 4x T5 HO lamps
    • Includes 2x 10000K and 2x Actinic 460nm lamps
    • Includes LEDs for night vision
    • Standard sized T5 sockets
    • Includes mounting brackets
    • Timer module built in
    • Internal electronic ballast
    • Acrylic splash guard
    • 110V only

2. one-fish

one-fish Member

3. lmforbis

lmforbis Well-Known Member

They aren't bad lights for softies and LPS, the bulbs they come with suck. You'd want to upgrade the bulbs to a quality bulb like ATI or Geismann. In the long run, they aren't very cost efficient. T5 bulbs need to be replaced every 6-12 months and cost ~$20 each.
    Personally I like LEDs better than T5 s. I do own 3 oddesea fixtures that I have used as supplemental lights for my LEDs. I got more LEDs so they are in a closet now.

4. florida joe

florida joe Well-Known Member

I also would go with LEDs The one 0ne-fish (no pun intended) is getting I personal like as a starter light. Other down side IMO to a system that you can’t adjust the intensity is. When you change your old bulbs you have to change you lighting schedule You tell me why

5. one-fish

one-fish Member

Well light came today.....damaged Augggh..Amazon sending a replacement. The mount was not what I expected. Joe how far above water surface should this light be...say at 50% intensity. Thinking of a ceiling mount but need to look at their website first think there is arm mount that clamps to back glass

6. florida joe

florida joe Well-Known Member

when you get the lights post a pic. you want you lights to be as close the water with out getting splash on them. I don't know how the expanding supporting system would be an issue

7. one-fish

one-fish Member

So just use the brackets/handles on the ends of the fixture. Thanks was thinking at least 6-8 in above ..Got it thanks ...pics tried that not sure how to thinking I needed a third party to host..I'll look at it again

8. kevin725

kevin725 New Member

that was the only one I found cheap next one I will go with the led's I think I found one off my fish with ich it is a small hippo and I can't get him out off the tank without tearing it all apart I fed some garlic tonight I read that may help I'm not sure what else to do

9. one-fish

one-fish Member

If I were you would research Ich and determine your situation, feeding garlic will not help....my.02 Ot you need to research helping hands are there