Wind and Rain

2quills

Expecting to take a direct hit from a cat 3 storm tommorow night.

Keeping my fingers crossed for my livestock.

2quills

Yep, still batten down the hatches as we speak.

Promised my fish that if things got crucial that I would eat them before they turned foul.

Never had tang filet before but there's a first time for everything.

2quills

Where is your location. Near coast? Have you been in hurricanes before?
Pretty darn close to the coast. Have coastal waters from The Bay and Laguna Madre about a mile to the east and west of us. We are somewhat shielded by the barrier islands. North Padre is about a 4 mile drive.

I've only been through 2 near misses. But my wife has been through a few when she lived in Florida and key west. Including a direct hit from Opal when she lived in panama city besch. She seems relatively unfazed lol.

I am concerned about the surge and 12-24" inches of rain they're predicting though.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I've lived in FLA all my life, and grew up in Key West and lived there most of life minus college yrs. A Cat 3 is not something that you can "ride out" unless your house is built for it. If you are within a few miles of the coast and the prediction tomorrow is for a direct hit at Cat 3 or above, then pack what you can in your car(s) and head out. Call tonight for a hotel unless you have family/friends elsewhere to go to.

Here is a pic of Wilma (Cat 3) surge in Key West...the storm was not a direct hit but just a pass by in the Gulf. Obviously, those coconut tree are not growing out of the ocean.....That is US1. Shopping center parking lot to the east of the right side of palms.
1024_RooseveltPalms_lg.jpg

beth

Administrator
Staff member
2quills, let us know how you are doing with the storm situation when you can. Looks like it is going to be a rather big wet wind.

2quills

Been getting significant rain fall the last few hours, wind gusts of 50 but expecting 100+ by 6 tonight. Many neighborhoods without power now.

Got food, water, propane, fire and ammo. Fingers crossed.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Judging from your location coast So Tex looks like you're at tropical storm warning? The the circular motion of the north end of the hurricane is where the surge is going to come from. Maybe it will jog north of you.

Hate hurricane hits at night! Yet, that seems to be their preference.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Was keeping track through landfall last night. I imagine there will be a lot of devastation and sadness this weekend for Texans hit by this monster storm. Glad you made it and your fish tank!

2quills

Bad part is the entire city is without power and no telling when it will all get restored.

Worst of it is over. But if it bounces back we could still get a lot of flooding. So far we've dodged the bullet.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How are you managing your tank? I got a gen when I lived in the Keys. Fridge, tank, and fan. I had propane stove and water header too so I was doing pretty good there. Made life so much better during storm aftermaths.