you ever think about just getting out of it?

seecrabrun

I'm sitting here, about to pull the trigger on about a thousand dollars worth of stuff. And I'm thinking... WTF? Am I crazy? Do you know all the other things I could do with that money???

Of course, I wouldn't do them, but I could! We could go to the beach for a few days, if I felt like making the trip lol!

Do you ever just think about getting out of it? And how much money that would save you?

pegasus

I'm sitting here, about to pull the trigger on about a thousand dollars worth of stuff. And I'm thinking... WTF? Am I crazy? Do you know all the other things I could do with that money???

Of course, I wouldn't do them, but I could! We could go to the beach for a few days, if I felt like making the trip lol!

Do you ever just think about getting out of it? And how much money that would save you?
I've never regretted getting into this hobby, even when I've encountered problems. They just made me more determined to defeat them. I have thought about what I could have done with the money I've invested in it, but then I thought about what I would have done and then had to show for it. I might have taken a nice vacation, but all I would have afterwards would be memories and a few photos. With my saltwater hobby, I get to enjoy it's beauty each and every day... for as long as I choose. That's the reason I chose this hobby... lol!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I've been out of it for quite awhile. I relocated for a job and the job entailed a lot of travel so I didn't get back in (or haven't yet). I do miss it, especially coming on here and seeing some of the build threads fellow hobbyists post. Its an exciting hobby that I'd never get bored with. It is expense but if you can afford it, its worth every penny. It was something I always looked forward to learning, exploring, and doing. Reefing especially allows hobbyists to really be a part of creating---beautiful life.

flower

Its an exciting hobby that I'd never get bored with. It is expense but if you can afford it, its worth every penny. It was something I always looked forward to learning, exploring, and doing. Reefing especially allows hobbyists to really be a part of creating---beautiful life.
I agree, it's worth every penny. I am looking at getting out, I can't care for my tank like I want to. The bending, the pulling, the climbing the step ladder, I have made things as simple as possible...fish only (seahorses) not a reef, HOB filters, and macroalgae so I can fudge on water changes when I don't feel well. There comes a time when the body just can't do what it used to do. Mother has Alzheimer's, she isn't real bad yet, but she will need more care as time goes by, the fish tank is just being neglected lately... sigh, and yet a part of me just can't let it go...

mandy111

When ever I have to re-stock the supplies(rowa, test kits, carbon, supplements etc ) and the bill runs into hundreds of dollars just to do maintenance, i do sometimes think, what the hell.
I have mentioned a few times that things in aussie are dreadfully expensive for reefing/salwater.
We have kept a very detailed record of what has been spent and we could have had a new car & a holiday by now.
But I don't regret it one bit, i love it, i love everything about it. We are all so lucky to have a slice of reef/eco systems in our lounge rooms to enjoy every day.
I am sure it will get to the stage eventually that we wont be able to afford it any more and it will be a really sad day.

snakeblitz33

I've gone In and out of the hobby for the better part of a decade. I've had over a hundred tanks in my lifetime and I have probably cared for about as many for former customers. I have always gotten out because of financial reasons. Being a full time college student for eight years after high school didn't help. I always seemed to have to do something with saltwater. If I wasn't doing something with saltwater, I was learning a musical instrument. My favorite by far has been the banjo and the ukulele. I still play, but it's fun to sit and watch the fish while playing a tune.

In the last few days I have had that thought again of selling it all off and not getting back in the hobby ever again, but I know I will, so I keep forging ahead, trying to find that healthy balance again in my life.

In fact my wife and I are house shopping right now and one of my things that I am looking at is a place for my current tank and perhaps all the way up to a 125g in the future.

Anyways, your not alone.

seecrabrun

I easily have room for a 300 gallon tank just because we aren't a TV watching family, so we don't have an entertainment center. I've got an entire free wall lol

But I definitely don't want that big of a tank. Largest I'd go is standard 210

mandy111

I easily have room for a 300 gallon tank just because we aren't a TV watching family, so we don't have an entertainment center. I've got an entire free wall lol

But I definitely don't want that big of a tank. Largest I'd go is standard 210
lol.....i bet if you went 210g a couple of months later you would be regretting it, and saying Darn we had the room wiish I had gone bigger. We are wishing we had gone 3.5 wide instead of 2.5 wide, because we had the room to spare. You would regret it too, i am positive

jay0705

Looking at the minor size diff between a 125- 180. The 125 is the way to go. Yes u get more water volume, but actual swim room is mute. Add a sump of 55gal and wham there is your water volume. Now custom tanks lol there is where it gets fun.

seecrabrun

I always planned to do a custom tank when I went big. And I knew the tank itself would cost thousands. It's all the other equipment that is getting me down.

Spending good money on stuff that probably isn't actually good. There's too much stuff on the market now days and no clear winners.

pegasus

I always planned to do a custom tank when I went big. And I knew the tank itself would cost thousands. It's all the other equipment that is getting me down.

Spending good money on stuff that probably isn't actually good. There's too much stuff on the market now days and no clear winners.
There are a lot of people here who can recommend quality equipment that won't break the bank. Don't hesitate to ask for suggestions...

mandy111

Your very right the custom tank & sump are the cheapest part. The stand. & equipment is the killer. You also have to look at ongoing cost of a larger system. Water changes, electricity, dosing, ATO water. All add substantial costs as you get bigger. I don't regret it but I look at people doing 1 bucket water changes were a bucket of salt will last 12 months & here we are bucket if salt lasting 3 weeks. Certainly something to consider when upgrading.

seecrabrun

I was planning on a 75g as this year's build, but after getting my 20g reef ready and starting to actually get some corals in it... I canceled that!!!

The main reason I want a bigger tank is for the fish, not the coral. But I see all these gorgeous coral tanks and I want a little bit of it. Though I adore the look of live rock, so I'd never do a wall to wall reef tank. Just pieces here and there.

Now I'm considering a fish only, maybe some mushrooms for color or planting macro algae.

My big custom tank? that is actually meant to be a coldwater tank. It's a dream tank, probably won't ever happen.

flower

I was planning on a 75g as this year's build, but after getting my 20g reef ready and starting to actually get some corals in it... I canceled that!!!

The main reason I want a bigger tank is for the fish, not the coral. But I see all these gorgeous coral tanks and I want a little bit of it. Though I adore the look of live rock, so I'd never do a wall to wall reef tank. Just pieces here and there.

Now I'm considering a fish only, maybe some mushrooms for color or planting macro algae.

My big custom tank? that is actually meant to be a coldwater tank. It's a dream tank, probably won't ever happen.

I have a cold water salt tank... it is very different to stock, most critters and fish on sale are tropical.

mopardwh

When I took my first 2 tanks out of commission, it really made me sick to think about the thousands of dollars wasted. But it was so fun while they lasted. So now that I'm back in the hobby its go big or go home!

seecrabrun

I have a cold water salt tank... it is very different to stock, most critters and fish on sale are tropical.
Yes I know. I want a Garibaldi damsel, so I've researched it and what can go with it in its large cold water tank.

It's unlikely it'll ever happen, it's my dream tank. I've thought of the ways I'd make it look like a rocky kelpy forest. I've considered which creatures I can pair up. I've picked my CUC LOL. It's a thing to aspire to for me. Others want their chunk of the great barrier reef, I want my slice of cold merky Catalina waters.