you ever think about just getting out of it?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hi... I don't think I will lower the tank, for now anyway, I would have to break the whole thing down like I'm moving just to do that, which is much harder then climbing a step ladder. If I ever have to move the tank, I will consider doing that for sure. I may be replacing my carpet in a few years for hard floors. That would be the perfect time for such a project.

I'm going to do the small daily water changes, as you suggested, it really sounds like the prefect solution. I know when I harvest the macros, I lose a little water and replace it (less then a gallon) but the tank always looks so crystal clear and happy afterwards....so a small daily water change will do it a world of good I think.
Yep, carpets always are a pain in the rear when it comes to keeping tanks. Where I would want a tank as well has carpet which I will not do (again). It will have to be leveled hardfloor. However, if I go with wood, that too would be a pain, right? What are people's exp. with tanks on wood floor? I'm from So. Fla where most homes are carpet/tile, but I moved to N. Fla where the style is wood. Nowdays, tile can even come in wood look which look quite nice...

jay0705

2 of my tanks are on hardwood. Overall its not bad. Any spills are easy to clean up. The one down side is vibration thru the floor. The fish definitely get edgy with heavy foot steps.

bang guy

What would happen if you had tiles and a carpet backing between the aquarium stand and the wood floor? I'd think the tiles would look attractive and the carpet backing could prevent water from seeping from the tile to the wood.

seecrabrun

My house flooded twice in 2013 and I learned the drains in the neighborhood all pointed TO my yard and that the whole drainage system needs to be redone in the neighborhood.
Problems is the city is more than willing but the roads still belling to the people who built the neighborhood and they are a-holes and refuse to turn the land over to the city. It's a long drawn out thing I won't bore you with.

But in the meantime I live with no flooring and everything up on stilts and boxes in case it floods again and every heavy rain is a sleepless night of checking the floors in case it is flooding.

So... Keeping a tank in my house is super easy as my house is used to lots of water LOL

beth

Administrator
Staff member
My house flooded twice in 2013 and I learned the drains in the neighborhood all pointed TO my yard and that the whole drainage system needs to be redone in the neighborhood.
Problems is the city is more than willing but the roads still belling to the people who built the neighborhood and they are a-holes and refuse to turn the land over to the city. It's a long drawn out thing I won't bore you with.

But in the meantime I live with no flooring and everything up on stilts and boxes in case it floods again and every heavy rain is a sleepless night of checking the floors in case it is flooding.

So... Keeping a tank in my house is super easy as my house is used to lots of water LOL
This sounds like a lawsuit in the making.....

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What would happen if you had tiles and a carpet backing between the aquarium stand and the wood floor? I'd think the tiles would look attractive and the carpet backing could prevent water from seeping from the tile to the wood.
The problem with carpet is that they need to get changed eventually. And guess what has to be moved when it's time to change. Wet carpet (especially when there is real spillage) is not too pleasant. If I ever went back into the hobby it would be with a permanent tank set up in mind. At this point, I am not even sure I'll be staying put where I am. LOL

seecrabrun

This sounds like a lawsuit in the making.....
You're telling me, but no luck with the lawyer I consulted with. I was told we'd have to petition every home owner in the neighborhood and then the city could take it over, problem is a lot of the house are under foreclosure and are being held by random companies and banks.

It sucks bad.

ClaptonsGhost

What a bummer! I always thought "flower" was a cute 23 year old hottie...

Anyway, back to reality. Flower, except for the weight I suffered from the same problems as you. In fact when I got my tank up and running again I had to have the LFS come and install the new plumbing because I couldn't get under the stand and do it myself. I saw a commercial for a back brace called Copper Fit Back. It was only 20 bucks with free shipping so I gave it a shot, and it worked miracles. Whereas before if I was down on my knees I would have to lift myself up by grabbing onto my dining room table and lifting myself up, sllllloooooooooooooooooooowly, now I can get up using just my legs, while holding my skimmer collection cup and not spilling a drop.

Still, I had problems with my feet. I would get up after being off them for 20 minutes and have to stand in place for 2-3 minutes until my tendons stretched enough to walk pain free. So I figured let me get the Copper Fit ankle supports. Those are only 9 bucks each, tax free, available at Bed Bath & Beyond. Those worked, too! I feel about 15-20 years younger. If I felt this way last year I would have done the plumbing on my tank myself. Do yourself a favor, if you can afford the Copper Fit stuff, get it. Start with the ankle and foot braces. If they work then go for the back brace. That's the only thing you have to get online or by phone. They make stuff for every part of your body, practically. Remember I'm not talking Tommy Copper. That stuff is expensive. Good luck

*Note - Poster is not a paid spokesperson for Copper Fit and has not been compensated for his testimonial, try as he might to have them throw him a few bucks.

ClaptonsGhost

I'm sitting here, about to pull the trigger on about a thousand dollars worth of stuff. And I'm thinking... WTF? Am I crazy? Do you know all the other things I could do with that money???

Of course, I wouldn't do them, but I could! We could go to the beach for a few days, if I felt like making the trip lol!

Do you ever just think about getting out of it? And how much money that would save you?
I have a rule about spending money. If it's on something that's temporal, like a trip to the beach, and when I get back it's just a memory, I hold back. If it's something that you buy and you have it for years I go for it. I'd rather spend a grand on a new tv or DSLR than on a trip to Myrtle Beach. Even when my wife was alive she agreed with me, because she always ended up enjoying my purchases as well. That's my 2 cents.

pegasus

You simply can not test for everything and have enough supplements and time to dose what is bound up and removed. The absolute most effective way of keeping balanced water chemistry is to simply change a portion of water on a regular basis.
Don't mean to resurrect an old post (or do I?), but actually, there is a way to test for missing elements... and NEVER have to do a water change. It's called the Triton method (Triton-US). Water is tested for precise concentrations of lesser known elements found in seawater that are either essential and missing, or detrimental and building up to high levels in the aquarium. The elements being tested for include Na, Ca, Mg, K, Sr, B, Br, S, Li, Be, Ba, Ti, V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, Cu, Zn, Al, Si, As, Sb, Sn, Cd, Se, Mo, Hg, P (PO4), Pb, I. It takes a few samples ($49 a pop) to get things balanced, but once you hit the sweet spot, you'll have the most stable system possible. As you know, even simple water changes alters the tank's parameters... reducing stability. While it's a bit pricey, if you've spent thousands on your system and inhabitants, what's a few hundred more? LOL!

pegasus

I have a rule about spending money. If it's on something that's temporal, like a trip to the beach, and when I get back it's just a memory, I hold back. If it's something that you buy and you have it for years I go for it. I'd rather spend a grand on a new tv or DSLR than on a trip to Myrtle Beach. Even when my wife was alive she agreed with me, because she always ended up enjoying my purchases as well. That's my 2 cents.
If you add my 2 cents (post #2), then we're up to 4 cents... ;)

snakeblitz33

I'm not sure when I stated that, but I'm sure it was before triton.

Oh well, to the average home aquarist, its simply unfeisable.

ClaptonsGhost

Don't mean to resurrect an old post (or do I?), but actually, there is a way to test for missing elements... and NEVER have to do a water change. It's called the Triton method (Triton-US). Water is tested for precise concentrations of lesser known elements found in seawater that are either essential and missing, or detrimental and building up to high levels in the aquarium. The elements being tested for include Na, Ca, Mg, K, Sr, B, Br, S, Li, Be, Ba, Ti, V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, Cu, Zn, Al, Si, As, Sb, Sn, Cd, Se, Mo, Hg, P (PO4), Pb, I. It takes a few samples ($49 a pop) to get things balanced, but once you hit the sweet spot, you'll have the most stable system possible. As you know, even simple water changes alters the tank's parameters... reducing stability. While it's a bit pricey, if you've spent thousands on your system and inhabitants, what's a few hundred more? LOL!
If only I could get my B levels down!!! :eek:

2quills

You're telling me, but no luck with the lawyer I consulted with. I was told we'd have to petition every home owner in the neighborhood and then the city could take it over, problem is a lot of the house are under foreclosure and are being held by random companies and banks.

It sucks bad.
Is it storm water or sewer water?

I'd contact your insurance company and see if they could get you a civil engineer out there to evaluate the issue. You should have options available to you, just gotta find them. You can't trust what a city employee may or may not tell you. If it's poor design or lack of maintenance on their part then they should still pay to find a work around solution if they can't tear into other people's property which doesn't sound like it makes a whole lot of sense to me but I guess it depends on where you live.

Bottom line is that whatever the issue is it's going to effect the resell value of your home and it's not your fault.

silverado61

Its kind of funny that this thread did get revived. I've decided to get out of it. For now anyway. I'm donating all my critters, rock and sand to my LFS. Selling the tank and stand. I'm keeping all the equipment and my 36g and putting it in storage. The wife and I are getting divorced and in 8 months I plan on moving to Hawaii. So you probably won't hear from me much for about a year. But, I will be back in the hobby. Hawaii is going to be an awesome place to be in this hobby.

seecrabrun

Is it storm water or sewer water?

I'd contact your insurance company and see if they could get you a civil engineer out there to evaluate the issue. You should have options available to you, just gotta find them. You can't trust what a city employee may or may not tell you. If it's poor design or lack of maintenance on their part then they should still pay to find a work around solution if they can't tear into other people's property which doesn't sound like it makes a whole lot of sense to me but I guess it depends on where you live.

Bottom line is that whatever the issue is it's going to effect the resell value of your home and it's not your fault.
It's storm water, but we are not a flood zone.

It comes down to the fact the people who built the subdivision were crooks. It's such a long story, but they did this 3 times and finally ended up in jail. The remaining land was put in one of their girlfriend's name and she still owns it. That would be the empty lots that hadn't been established as a build zone yet and the roads themselves.
What builders do is build a subdivision and then turn the land the roads are on over to the city, but they didn't do this. So legally the city can't do squat to their land without her permission, and she refuses to get involved. Apparently she "never wanted any part of this".

And because they were crappy builders our houses are falling apart, the water lines bust every summer in a different spot all over the subdivision. The city can replace those only as they rupture, but the guy over the water department confided in me he wishes they'd just let them replace it all because the builders laid the water lines, not the city, and they did a horrible job.

I've lived here 5 years and 5 times watched the pipes burst, and I know they did it before and they will probably keep doing it until they are all replaced.

And then the reason my yard floods is because they designed the entire part of the neighborhood behind me, which is up hill, to drain into my yard and then out a large pipe in the front yard. First they didn't even have the land grated correctly to get the water to the pipe, but biggest issue of all is the pipe is laid the wrong way and the other side of the street drains into my yard instead of taking it to the larger ditch and out of the neighborhood.

We spent a few grand having my yard regrated but the guy said it'll only do so good with that pipe the way it is.

He said my next option is to build a retainer with a sump pump that forces it through to the other side.

I'm not sure exactly how that would work but I do know it was 20 grand to do it. And I didn't even have the money for the regrating, my grandparents had to help.

I've not given up, but it's defeating and I don't have much help or money to pay help.

My house was bought through the USDA and I turned to them for help and they said get a lawyer. They own it and apparently don't care either.

seecrabrun

Also I'd rather spend a couple grand going to the beach than on equipment. Equipment eventually dies, but memories last forever. I wonder if that's mostly a guy vs girl thing or if I just really love going to the beach that much?

Sadly can't visit the beach as much as I'd like even if I have the money. Being a single mom with 2 young kids, it's really too dangerous to go alone and only my dad ever wants to go, but his busiest season at work is summer.

seecrabrun

Its kind of funny that this thread did get revived. I've decided to get out of it. For now anyway. I'm donating all my critters, rock and sand to my LFS. Selling the tank and stand. I'm keeping all the equipment and my 36g and putting it in storage. The wife and I are getting divorced and in 8 months I plan on moving to Hawaii. So you probably won't hear from me much for about a year. But, I will be back in the hobby. Hawaii is going to be an awesome place to be in this hobby.
Can I move to Hawaii with you???

Sorry to hear about everything else. Right now I'm back to thinking of getting out of it again. Everything just went to hell really fast this week and I'm contemplating if I should even try to save it, or just leave.

2quills

Dang, that sounds like a pretty crappy situation. Most likely some crooked building inspectors involved as well durring construction. They've had trouble with that down here as well.

I hear you on getting out of the hobby. Just can't find the motivation for it anymore.